CCMS

Racingpurplelady

Last night at the track was Boy Scouts Night and there was no charge. I would think there were way over 100 boys with parents,ect. They all got to meet with the drivers on the track,take pictures. I'm sure that one day one little boy or more will become a race car driver from this adventure. Over all the race night was a good one. One or two little mishaps,but thats to be expected. What was a nice supprise our boys in the TPS. #21 EJ Gilpin,2nd place,#73 Bobby Smith 4th place and #8 Pete Arce 8th. I really don't see much difference in these classes. I think TPS could run in the big upcoming race for the Thunders. We just have to wait and see. I did have one complaint. Tom,the announcer didn't have the names for the powder puff drivers. I guess a slight over site. In the bomber powder puff the one and only Amy Requilman took the win. She is one driving lady,too bad I retired.haha.In the s.s.powder puff it was Chasity Cope.She took the win on the final lap to pass the lead cars just in the nick of time. A good race. The s.s.feature was #34 Greg Carlucci Jr. In the bomber feature #71 Gene Hyde. A good night of racing.See you at the races for TSRS.

Carol Yocum

Yes it was good to see all the scouts there saturday night. It was also great to see E.J. Gilpin and Bobby Smith do a great job in the TPS race. Way to go guys and keep up the good work.Let's go racing!

Racingpurplelady

Thanks for the post and your kind remarks about the Texas Pro Sedan race and the outstanding performance by CCMS Thunder Car regulars.

Before the three race schedule, TPS wrote the following rules equaling allowances for all three 2004 TPS races at CCMS:

Corpus Christi Thunder class cars are welcome to participate. The following technical allowances have been included in TPS Race Rules to help CCMS cars gain performance equality:

INVITED CARS: CCMS Thunder Cars will be accepted provided they are in in compliance with their 2004 Mini Stock rules with the following upgrade options.

CCMS cars may optionally use:

TPS 13” Hoosier Racing Tires (but may use their regular CCMS tires)

After-market suspension parts

Lock drive wheels.

Months before the first race at CCMS in May, TPS driver/member G.B. Carter suggested and worked with me to design these rules allowances. His absence from all three races is a mystery to me.

Pete Arce was the only actual CCMS Thunder driver to race in all three CCMS events. Pete also competes in a few TPS races at other tracks. The other Corpus Christi area drivers are TPS regular racers.

We were pleased to accept at race entrys from two of the best CCMS Thunder drivers: # 21 E.J. Gilpin and

# 73 Bobby Smith. Their driving skills and the rules allowances to equalize TPS & CCMS cars ie; they both used TPS Hoosier racing tires, was apparent in the final results (which are reported elsewhere in TSZ).

I wrote and provided CCMS announcer Tom Creacy with the following statement which was read during the TPS pre-race cerimony:

"The Texas Pro Sedans tonight complete a 2004, three race series here at C.C. Motor Speedway. TPS members would like to express their appreciation for the faith and trust put forth by CCMS Track Owner Greg Godfrey and track manager Owen Pittman by presenting an official Texas Pro Sedans appreciation plaque at this time. We thank you for hosting the return of TPS to Corpus Christi for the first time in nine years."

Owen addressed the assembled TPS Drivers and Crew Chiefs. Not heard on the PA system was what he had to say to them. He said, "CCMS was glad to have TPS for the three race series this year. We look forward to having TPS back during our 2005 season". All of the TPS people gave him a hand, the drivers got introduced and we ran a competitive 30 lap race.

The Texas Pro Sedan Series is celebrating its 29th consecutive season of four cylinder stock car racing in the southwest. The Texas Pro Sedans is the senior touring series in Texas and even older than the World of Outlaws. Most Texas touring series have patterned their organizational operations after the original touring series Texas Pro Sedans. More information is available by logging on to Texas Pro Sedans.com

Thanks to the fans and all officials at C.C. Motor Speedway.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Racingpurplelady

I assume that you didn't understand the meaning of my earlier post.

What I was trying to say, said another way, was that because of the optional technical upgrades allowed to CCMS cars, we finally got to see if the upgrades were correct.

After the first two races, in which Pete Arce was the only driver to apply the optional upgrades to his car, we got to see what would happen if more CCMS drivers accepted the TPS invitation.

E.J. Gilpin and Bobby Smith proved that the options were just right with the fastest time trial lap and a second and fourth place finish. (Gilpin was less that a tenth of a second behind the winner Donnie Moore at the finish line).

I wrote my post to example the message that we used to try attract CCMS entrys. On September 11th, the upgrades proved correct. We will use them again in 2005 for TPS races.

The purse totaled $ 3,200. The ammount won by each individual is his private information to release or not release. You'll have ask each driver how much he won. Checks and Official Results were mailed Sunday.

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

:) Niel,Im glad the upgrades allowed help make an even playing field to allow the CC Thunder Cars to be competitive as we talked about at the beginning of the year.Ive only wanted the best for 4 cyl racing anywhere possible.If you remember,the tires you use were introduced to your groupe by me,furnished by Smileys Racing of Dallas.I believe this helped reduce the tire cost factor and helped the Pro Sedans in general.Its no question that Pro Sedans are the fastest 4 Cyl full sized cars on asphalt in Texas and Im glad the Texas Thunders proved they are just as good.I would have loved to be a part of this but we could not work out the windshield factor.My car doesnt have one and you would not allow me to race without one even though CC Speedway doesnt mandate one.This was not your problem,it was mine.My car is too rusty to hold a lexan sheet and I was too broke to buy one anyway.Lalo offered me some pull off tires,but no one had an extra sheet of lexan.I have been blessed by being able to make enough money at CC Speedway to pay the cost of going racing and thats what I like about Thunder Car Racing.My old truck barely makes it to Corpus every week and thats why I cant go to San Antonio or Thunder Hill for the other races also.This is the mistery of why I did not make the races at CC Speedway when you guys raced there.Maybee next year will be better and I can.I applaude The Pro Sedans,the Texas Thunders,and you as director for so many years.Sounds like I missed a great event........G.B.Carter........THUMPER..... By the way,were you in Lufkin in 1971 at the Mini Stock championships? I was one of the Houston cars,a black Karman Ghia # 77.Im pretty sure you were racing at Paramont Austin and Pan American in San Antonio when I did my first pavement races in 1972......... :)

Thumper: The invitation read "CCMS cars may run under their own rules with the 3 upgrade options" which you helped design.

That means you could have run without a windshield. # 21 & # 73 had no windshields last Saturday night.

You didn't participate in the 3 TPS races at CCMS for the wrong reason.

Re your questions: I never raced in Lufkin or at Paramont Austin Speedway.

I did race at Pan American Speedway in San Antonio in a Chevelle Super Stock in a 250 lap race.

When I raced at Austin it was called Austin Speed-O-Rama. I drove a Pro Sedan.

Neil

Archived