aero

zoom

So on a track like SAS, with a sportsman class car. How much of a factor is aerodynamics? What role do you suppose it plays in actual handling through the turns? Will it play enough that you can use it to help suck the car to the track, even a little, say 75 to 150 lbs of downforce? Would the car have to use rear glass and maybe right side glass also to take advantage? How much is the absence of a rear wing hurting us as far as aero and is the drag it gives worth it?

And there is more questions where those came from but I better stop.LOL

You guys are great and I really enjoy this board. Thanks Jason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoom

Zoom,

Aero is important on a half-mile track like SAS. Not critical, though. It's just one of those little things that help your car go faster when you add them all up.

To take full advantage of aero on a half mile, make the car as small as possible (this is very hard to do, but it's still one of the most important aero principles - the smaller the hole you poke in the air the better). Make all the body panels as smooth as possible. Install all allowable glass (lexan) in the car. Make the front air dam as low to the track and as far forward as the rules allow. Make side skirts as low as the rules allow. Remove as much hang of the rear quarter panels and rear bumper cover as possible to give whatever air gets under your car a place to escape. Put the rear spoiler as high, as big, as wide and as vertical (adding a forward facing lip called a Gurney lip helps a lot) as the rules allow. Slant the nose down towards the track. Bow the doors inwards. Smooth out everything under the car.

There are other aero tricks (like air tunnels that go from the nose and run the length of the car to exit just under the rear spoiler) but most are not legal.

If you do all that, you might find helps the corner speed a bit.

Nick Holt

I dont know much about how aerodynamics affect the car at a track like san antonio but i do know that the draft takes affect at approximatley 60 mph. So that will not be a problem at SAS. Im sure that it could affect the handling of the car at SAS but things like the Right Side window probably wont be of much use. But other than that in the sportsman class it probably isnt as big of a factor as it would be in ROMCO or similar classes.

OK. so the SAS rules say the front valance has to be 90 degrees to the ground, would it not be better to take the valance off and do without than to have it pushing air like a bulldozer? Without a valance the air goes under and out. no muss no fuss.

Archived