Big Bend Open Road Race

ZZZBrahmaBull

Anyone here at Lonestar Speed Zone ever done the open road race at Big Bend?Worked on an open road race car?Thinking about racing my 76 Road Runner next year in it.

Anyone here at Lonestar Speed Zone ever done the open road race at Big Bend?Worked on an open road race car?Thinking about racing my 76 Road Runner next year in it.

We have taken multiple cars and done it including a Corvette that got attacked by a deer at 80MPH while still on the trailer. What kind of info are You looking for?

Here is their website...

BBORR

Well I went over the rules for SR&T class.Just how do you qualify for the different slots in SR&T?

You do time trials to determine that?I would have to do some modifications to move up to the next class.But sort of sounds tough not to go over your tach speed,if you do you just lost.The speed-o doesn't work in my car so I have to drive by my tach.You suppose to push your car as fast as it will go to qualify?You run a higher gears?Wondering if the car I have was once used for road racing since its hard to drive in 4th on most roads.

this is something I have been jonesing to do with the GTO...

The Texas Mile looks that be fun.Make the 200mph club.Sure take some stability and control going that fast.

The mile seems like it would be fun as well - however it is a bit too competitive for what our goals are with the goat. With the mile it doesn't work quite like brackets - pushing top speed is the goal - not hitting a set speed mark well within the capabilities as is.

the goat is an 04, the rarest RPO (1 of 271), the last LS with cable throttle and we want to keep her as stock as possible (I have done a cold air, high flow MAF, larger LS throttle body, coils and ECU tune removing governor - none of which affects "stock" status for collect-ability). The collector value of this car WILL come in big in about 7 more years (we recently were offered 18000 for it - when NADA high retail was @ 14!). Not bad for a "mistake"! We walked past a black GTO at one dealer and a dark blue one at another not even knowing what it was - thinking it was just a hopped up GrandAm - lol. When the wife was picking colors for a MonteCarlo SS she showed the salesman the Barbados Blue color sample on the back of the GTO handout. He told her the Monte does not come in that color and when I saw and read the brochure - then went home and researched the car we chose it. Had to scour the country for the Barbados. Found the 6 speed in Arkansas - and when we took delivery it was fate. Production dated on my birthday. A year later the production numbers were available - they only made 589 Barbados and only 271 in 6 speed - out of 18,870 total units - so we started being very cautious on the miles (currently 21,650 on the OD)!

The open road seems like a great way to have fun, run rally style against a clock - all without modifying beyond what "stock" setup is - without a large unreasonable risk of destruction - as average speed comes into play more than top.

Just now read on the NEWS>>>Texas 85mph speed limit on State Highway 130.Think a 44 mile stretch toll road.Guess that be a good road to practice open road race.

Just now read on the NEWS>>>Texas 85mph speed limit on State Highway 130.Think a 44 mile stretch toll road.Guess that be a good road to practice open road race.

Careful. Next thing you know we will be hearing they are flying drones over it monitoring speeds... :lol: Just kidding obviously!

Drone surveillance is only the tip of the iceberg as far as modern technology and capability goes.

I wouldn't doubt you try to practice road racing in a 2012 muscle car out in the middle of nowhere.You receive a ticket in the mail or your email.Since you now have GPS Navigation and who know what else on board in the new cars. Maybe unlimited information a computer in some office knows about you and the car 24 & 7.Just food for thought.

Archived