spotters

car05

At what point should a spotter tell his driver that there is a car inside or outside of him? At his back bumper, rear tire, back of the door, ect. I think this could be very informative for some of the spotters out there that don't tell their driver there is someone there, until the driver can see the other car.

MC

I agree with Colt, but the thing is your never going to get everybody on the same page with something like this, because you can get everyone to agree but their is no way to enforce something like this. Even as a spotter I can tell a driver something, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to do something.

The call against the 05 was one of the only call's of the night I disagreed with...the other driver did not hold their line and came down on the 05...the 05 looked to have his nose at the door and the 27 had been holding him up...you would have thought he had to know the 05 was there, mirror or not...I would say that was the point a spotter should have said something...who knows, maybe they did :ph34r: ...but it was close...could have gone either way I suppose...And 27 people, don't get mad at me that is just the way I saw it and JMO...I would have liked to have seen the 05 battling with the other fast cars up front instead of being relagated to passing trucks and street stocks (who needs the THR games when you have this class!!!)...but I didn't say anything because 1) I saw some much needed and appreciated progress calling the race, 2) I am biased towards that pirty yella color and 3) I am not supposed to post anymore.

I didn't think the call was made out of retaliation for the 05 speaking his mind. But don't ya think it was extremely ironic that he was the one on the recieving end of a close judgment call in the LM hodge podge race?

PS - Marc, maybe you should call that yella wood guy and see if he'll sponsor you...

i think that where a spotter lets you know someone is under you is there choise. i like to know if someone is looking. tell the driver to hold his or her line.but on the other hand the last 5 laps my car is going to be as wide as a cement truck. if a guy catches a car when he is almost a lap or half a lap in front of him or her. GIVE THEM ROOM,!!!!DONT YOU WATCH RACING ON TV?????

I agree with tqj3. If you come down and it makes you spin then it was your fault. In another post I was trying to remember one of the calls I was curious about, and the 05/27 mix-up was it. As a fan I was really surprised that the 05 went to the back on that deal. From the stands it was clearly the 27 coming down on the 05 when the 05 had his nose in far enough. But you could say its just all hard racing.

If you read my previous unedited post and this one seems 180 degrees different, well I read my previous post and it didn't make sense to me either.

I feel that the Spotters job just isnt meant for the typical mechanic. The spotter has a big job while his car is on the track. im not sure but i would have found it hard to be a spotter if i hadnt raced before. To many times i have seen a car with a run on another and would have been there for a clean pass but the spotter didnt tell the driver and it then tooooo late the wreck has already happened.

J.C

J C

I you're 100% right you can't take anyone and tell them to spot for you.

After being on both ends,driving and spotting,it's something you have to

work at.And different drivers need different info while running.Before THR

took the mirrors out I could race without a spotter and race clean because

that is the way I choose to race.Other drivers have to have someone talking

to them the whole time they are running.JMO

Another thing a spotter must consider is who is driving the cars in front of and in back of your car. Most of the drivers we run with will drive you pretty clean if they are behind you. Not to say you won't get leaned on or bumped a few times but they won't usually punt you out of the way. The problem I have noticed this year is the one being dicussed in this forum. If we have a car making a move inside or out, I'll let our driver know and he will hold his line. But several times this year we have attempted a clean pass on the inside only to have them come down on us around the middle of the turn. How far do you have to be on the outside car before it becomes a no-no to push him down? We were door handle to door handle in one instance when he came down on us. In the future we will definitely drive this guy differently. Not everybody drives like that but once you know the ones that do you will need to come up with another plan. I have spoken to the officials about this but have not recieved a satisfactory answer. So what's a spotter to do?

I went to El Cajon Speedway and they had a really neat system for the spotters. All spotters were required to spot from one spotters tower, and there was a track official on the platform with th eteam spotters. All spotters were required to have the car number they were spotting for on they're back, if they were given the Black flag the official would tap them on the back and let them know to move over, they also had an additional light right near the tower so that all spotters could clearly see when a Yellow was out. If there was any questions you could turn around and ask the official, and any rought driving or anything of the sort was handled on the spot. The official would tap the spotter and let him know that this is a warning and next time the Black flag will be given.

I know that not all tracks have the man power or the facilities to handle things the way others do. But i think that having all spotters and an official in one area, (at THR the spotter deck up by the announcers booth, at SAS maybe a scaffolding tower or atop one trailer) and i know that the spotter is most times part of the crew and may need to be near pit road but this may help with calling races, line-up are surely quicker, and questions are answered very quickly.

JMO and it seemed to make communication and the race run very smooth.

Archived