Inspection/Tec Man

For future reference and nagging question,so I will know.Just how much in detail are inspections at the track on what you got under the hood?Say you ain't racing for points and care less whats in the pot.Just want to see how much in the gray area you may or may not push the envelope.He can tell you load it back on the trailer and come try again next time.Sorry not here bud.Might say nothing at all unless some one complains or allow you run in a different class.Correct? Any such animal as a circle track intake that carb mounts at an angle and allows the fuel to stay same level as the car goes around the track?

OK, a valid question.

BUT, this is not to turn into a bitch session about this tech man or that tech man, this track or that track. I love general discussions about rules, tech, etc, but I do not love reading about how "so and so screwed me out of a win," or "what an idiot so and so tech official is," etc.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation in advance.

Nick

As a former tech official, I attempted to get to the areas that tended to make a performance difference. In my case, I concentrated on chassis/suspension stuff because I knew from first-hand experience what to look for. Believe me, you can have the biggest, baddest power plant on the track, but if you can't get around the track you're not going to win.

Oh, and I loved to look for secret compartments. Like a place under the car to store the legal flywheel that was to be presented to tech after the race. That flywheel made for nice low, left weight if that compartment was designed correctly.

And I always carried a magnet with me to snoop around for lightweight components.

But I will say this. I carried around some blank forms that I could fill in and give to a racer if I found something that went over what I considered to be the spirit of the rules. I'd write what was wrong and have them fix it by the next race. I kept a copy so I could check it when they returned for the next race. I'm sure several of you got one of those forms from me at one time or another.

Nick

As a former tech official, I attempted to get to the areas that tended to make a performance difference. In my case, I concentrated on chassis/suspension stuff because I knew from first-hand experience what to look for. Believe me, you can have the biggest, baddest power plant on the track, but if you can't get around the track you're not going to win.

Oh, and I loved to look for secret compartments. Like a place under the car to store the legal flywheel that was to be presented to tech after the race. That flywheel made for nice low, left weight if that compartment was designed correctly.

And I always carried a magnet with me to snoop around for lightweight components.

But I will say this. I carried around some blank forms that I could fill in and give to a racer if I found something that went over what I considered to be the spirit of the rules. I'd write what was wrong and have them fix it by the next race. I kept a copy so I could check it when they returned for the next race. I'm sure several of you got one of those forms from me at one time or another.

Nick

Oh just talking yesterday to some guys about running at the track,how sneaky and slick some try to be.Some go as far just to see what they can get away with for a thrill.Had some guys tell me take it to the track and try it such as a big block or holley 4bbl and roller cam in street stock class.So was wondering before I drive all the way to the track.

The few tracks I have been to have not done any inspection on my car before the race besides safety. So what your asking is if I show up with a big block will I be able to race. From my experience yes because as I said they never did a inspection from what I saw. Your problem would be after the race at post inspection or if a sneaky driver comes and checks your car out before the race and lets the officials know you have a big block.

Nick

Lol, I remember when you suspected me of running antifreeze at SAS Nick, and made me taste the water in front of you so you could watch the expression on my face! I held a straight face! Lol! Not much can get by Nick!!

Lol, I remember when you suspected me of running antifreeze at SAS Nick, and made me taste the water in front of you so you could watch the expression on my face! I held a straight face! Lol! Not much can get by Nick!!

Did I as you to do that? Naw. I was probably offering you a nice cold beer and you misunderstood. "Here, have a cold one on me," sounds a whole lot like, "I want you to taste the water in your radiator to see the expression on your face when you taste it." See how some folks try to twist things around?? LOL

I do have a few other memories from tech. Caught someone trying to put a cigarette filter into the spark plug hole before they put the adapter in for a P&G session... LOL.

Another time I thought someone might be running a big carb, but when I pulled it the openings were just right for the go/no-go gauge. Hmmm.... So I had them put the carb back on and fire it up. Blew some smoke in the engine compartment and watched the smoke get sucked into the intake through eight tiny little holes! Stuff like that makes me chuckle now, but was grounds for a DQ at the time.

Nick

Famous words of Darrel Waltrip you are only cheating if you get caught

Yeah Buddy can't help but love words from Darrel Waltrip.

Archived