A few Notables from Shootout

texana55

On a personal note and taking off my "promoter" hat from the series, and share a few thoughts. Just some things from me personally.

First, I want to say congratulations to David McGuire on a solid showing this last weekend. He had challenges in different forms at all of the Shootout races last year, but he never gave up. This year he came back out positive and showed he can get 'er done. Congrats David.

Second, I saw Richard Wells with an array of v-belts out due to one being slung off. Saw him struggling and remembered we had about 10 belts in our trailer we don't use since going to serpentine. One of ours fit, and he made his showing in the B, and qualified for the A. That sure made me feel good to be able to help someone else for a change. Lord knows, we've had plenty of folks help us over the years.

Third, I couldn't believe the event attracted 36 competitors and a huge slew of fans. Cool all the way around.

Fourth, I want to say thanks to Buster Deen and Jamie Green for hauling all the way from the Baytown area.

Fifth, thank you to Jim, Joy, Eric and the entire crew for a great event. You made me feel at home.

Sixth, I was estatic Lauren made it into the feature. I was telling someone how weird it is to say I was excited about a 14th place finish. But, when your daughter is one of the two ladies in the series, it is very gratifying to see her make the A and have a good run. That was some dang good driving by everyone out there with just a few small cautions. 22 cars finishing a 25 lap feature.. Priceless!

I wished more would share their experiences lord knows we hear about the bad ones and I am as guilty as anyone. My good thoughts for the weekend. On my way home from friday night I got ill and my brother took over getting everything ready for saturday. My allstar team that was hand picked took over without them knowing I was sick. I was running late and when we pulled up. The shirt booth was set up and a big line of customers ready to buy. I got out of the truck and my officials and track officials all came together to go over proceedures for the night. Nothing goes perfect but this show almost did so my hat is off to all the officials and shootout team for picking up the ball and running with it. Couple of driver notes. Johnny Torres within 48 hours of purchasing a car up towards Dallas area showing up saturday and would have made the A Main except for a mechanical malfunction. Hats off to you. Several Corpus guys coming and being part of the show knowing their rule package isnt as much as other drivers but still wanting to compete. Hats off to each one of you guys. And finally one thing that I couldnt get out of my mind on the way home was the enormous group of fans the Mares Racing Team brought. Holy Cow, after the races there had to be over 100 people laughing and cutting up afterwards. I had to stop if only a couple minutes to shake his hand not only for large group but also to finish and drive up front in a brand new car. Lots of other positives but those are what stood out to me!

• Huge car count
  • Huge crowd due to race with loyal followers of drivers showing their support
  • VERY competitive heat races, b-mains and feature race
  • Very exciting feature race from a fans perspective
  • Having 25 laps allows for the possibility of even the last qualifier to potentially win (one car per lap passed with one lap to spare)
  • I saw a lot more giving than I did taking on the track in turns 3 and 4
  • I think this year's race format with heat races keeps things a little more exciting

Archived