Truck prep for towing

skipperf

have an '07 F 150 6 cyl with man trans. It has about 63k miles. I will be moving soon and towing about 4,000 lbs between trailer and furniture. I do not have a tow package on the F 150 so I have added a bumper receiver as the step bumper is rated as a class III. My truck has never towed before and I will be going about 1500 miles through mountains and desert. Should I change the trans fluid and if so, do I replace it w/ stock Mercron or something different. Also any other guidance that one may have to get my truck to the other side. Any thought on like a Fram ram air system to get a couple more horses.

Looking forward to your replies.

Skipper

Changing the manual tranny fluid would be a plus. it's good practice to change them evey 60-80k when they run ATF (you'll notice itll shift better) just the stock recommended fluid will be fine. changing the rear end grease wouldnt hurt either as well as hitting all the u-joints up if they have zirks. an air filter kit will help your mileage out, at least a k&n drop in if not the one you were talkin about. pretty much check all your fluids good, change the oil and spend some good amount of time on the trailer maybe repack the bearings if it's been a while since it's last service. other than that go play and good luck, I just drove a beat up pickup on a round trip to Missouri carting a 2200lb surfacer in the bed. funny part was gas gets cheaper the farther you get from tx.

additionally, spend some effort on the cooling system--->free up the "thru radiator" air path, replace any questionable hoses, etc

put the truck in the proper gear (rpm wise) going up long grades. Don't be afraid to be (only) going 45 mph uphill if that's what it takes

I know it seems obvious, but now is not the time to hope any questionable tire will make it. :D

good luck

jay

Thanks for the replies. Yep I replaced the old passenger tires on the trailer w/ new ST tires and had the bearings inspected and repacked. The truck itself has less than 1500 miles on Cooper 50k tires so that's a go. I'll look at replacing the tranny and rear end fluids and those other suggestions. Probably do the 60k serviceing that I would have skipped otherwise.

Now if Nick could just put a camera on his computer when doing Live updates I may not miss THR as much.

Thanks again,

Skipper

...Now if Nick could just put a camera on his computer when doing Live updates I may not miss THR as much.

Thanks again,

Skipper

You mean my wonderful, 100% accurate descriptions during the live updates don't paint a mental picture for ya? LOL

Nick

Archived