TSRS at SAS recap, 8/14/04

Texas Super Racing Series Public Relations Office (512) 784-3026

* Series Information Line (512) 899-2602

Press Office Phone (281) 482-6798 * Press Office Fax (281) 648-4601

For Immediate Release

New Claims First Victory of 2004 Season

By: Pat Mayberry

2003 Texas Super Racing Series Champion, Ronny New, claimed his first victory of the season with a convincing display of horsepower at San Antonio Speedway on Saturday night. New, who is not defending his title, was making only his second start of the season. New's win was marred by seven caution

flags causing the 50-minute time rule to be enforced after only 43 laps were completed out of the scheduled 65.

When New unloaded off the trailer he was already fast and was running only 0.188 seconds behind Beau Bukowski, who set the fastest first practice session time. During the second practice session New and his crew made some changes that helped him pick up 0.398 seconds.

As the cars took the track for race qualifying, New showed the rest of the field what he had when he broke the previous series track record, recording a very quick 20.094. "The track was pretty good, but we were still were a little bit loose," said New about his qualifying run. "I didn't think we had done as well as we did when we came off the track." However, when the series trademark dice roll for field inversions was complete, New found himself starting from the ninth position.

When the green flag was unfurled over the seventeen car field, pole sitter Lloyd Alexander drove hard into turn one to hold off series points leader, Mike Yale, and capture the front spot. Lloyd, who was not running his number one motor, looked good as he led the field the first twenty-one circuits.

New was patient as he stealthily worked his way up through the field. After starting ninth, New had worked his way up to the sixth spot by lap eleven. On lap thirteen, New showed his great track vision and missed getting caught in a wild wreck between Chris Schilds and Beau Bukowski in turn two. That narrow miss allowed New to take over the third place spot in the grid.

On lap twenty-one another caution flew when Damon Bean hit the wall hard in turn three, bunched the field back up. On the restart, Yale used the opportunity to get past Alexander as the two touched causing some damage to Alexander's machine and allowing New the opportunity to also get by Alexander and take over the second spot.

Yale was trying to shake the former champion, but New was looking consistently for a way to get around Yale and now was filling Yale's mirror with his bright yellow rocket ship. "I looked up and I knew it was over," said Yale about the hard charging New. "The car was so loose I just couldn't pick up the throttle. My straight-a-way speeds were great, but my corner speeds were horrible. We're happy to have what we got with this one."

New again showed his veteran driving savvy by picking when he was going to make his move for the lead. "I'd just been setting him up lap after lap and seeing how he would react after each turn," recalled New about his pass of Yale for the lead. "We got a crossover move on him going into one and got

him on the back straight-a-way. It was all over from there." From that point, New flexed his muscle and checked out from the rest of the pack.

New's victory came while trying some new set-ups on his Lefthander chassis. "We tried a different set-up on the spring combination. We threw something at the car we had never done before," mused New about his set-up. "We couldn't believe how well it worked, it was on rails."

Chasing New to the checkers was Mike Yale, Jeff Pollard, Mike Reininger, Brad Hudak, Michael Jones, Brian Schild, Beau Bukowski, Lloyd Alexander and Pat Lyon rounded out the top ten. Reininger was making his first start of the year with the series.

It was a good points night for New who took home the series maximum for points by winning the race, breaking the series track record in qualifying and winning the series Hard Charger Award by improving his starting spot nine spots.

The next stop for the MAGNUM Trailers sponsored series Texas Super Racing Series will be September 18th at Corpus Christi Speedway. For more information on series dates or rules please visit the series web site at www.manracingpromotions.com.

Race Information:

Name: Ronny New

City: Manchaca

Years in racing: 14

Chassis: Lefthander

Body: Monte Carlo

Engine Builder: Boyd

Brakes: Wilwood

Shocks: Penske

Sponsors: Southside Wrecker, Pick-n-Pull

Cautions: 7 / No yellow laps counted

Time of race: 50:00 minutes

Fastest green flag lap: Damon Bean 20.405/88.214 MPH

Lap Leaders: 1 - 21 Lloyd Alexander, 22 - 28 Mike Yale, 28 - 43 Ronny New

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

TEXAS SUPER RACING SERIES

RACE Results

August 14, 2004 – San Antonio

1 Ronny New

50 Mike Yale

17 Jeff Pollard

12 Mike Reininger

4 Brad Hudak

27 Michael Jones

11 Brian Schild

00 Beau Bukowski

5 Lloyd Alexander

48 Pat Lyon

14 Blake Harris

43 Jamie Fuller

55 Henry Guerra

6 David White

44 Damon Bean

7 Chris Schild

5 Mikey Cullen

13 Ian Webster DNS

3 Buck Basey DNS

21 registered with 1 unable to attend & the #80 broke on Friday during practice.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann
5 Llyod Alexander
As bad of luck as the Alexander family had and then I go and misspell his name on the finish, sorry about that Lloyd! You guys sure had a tuff weekend, great job. Sorry about the typo, but I did at least catch it myself, LOL.

Archived