Picture Identification

txtom

Nick is correct. That is Rusty's car that he ran in ASA in the late 70s. Not sure where that is at but that was taken around the time Rusty graduated from High School. Believe that was 78 or 79.

It sure looks like Jackson International Speedway to me, and another vote for Rusty Wallace.

You sure know your racetracks, byron. That is indeed Jackson, located just west of Jackson in Clinton, Mississippi.

But that is not Rusty..........

Maybe it was Alan Kulwicki in that LM?

Nope.

If ya'll don't get it by tomorrow, I will give another hint. Nick, Think about the hint in the PM I sent you.

Well, a couple of you have the right answers.

byron has the correct track, Jackson Int'l Speedway, located in Clinton Mississippi. Insanely fast BIG 1/2 mile, actually a little closer to 5'8ths in the groove.

JohnnyT (Probably Frank Torres) got the driver correct.

And Nick was on the right track with Waldo Harper, but he was actually the car owner, and to my recollection, never actually drove the car in a race.

The story: Waldo travelled to a race at I-70 in Odessa, Missouri early 1981. He bought the car from Wallace on the stipulation that Wallace's crew took only the engine. Waldo got the shocks, springs, etc. They pulled the engine at the track. Waldo and Davis teamed up, as Davis had a tired chassis, but a couple fresh Prototype engines. Some of you oldtimers may remember him outrunning Fryar at San Antonio back when that was a rare feat to see. Fryar was in one of his home built camaros, the last one he built before getting his first Bopp.

Davis ran Waldo's car just like they got it. If you look back at the car, look on the roof where the driver name is usually painted. See the piece of red tape? That is covering Rubberhead's name.

They ran together for the 1981 season, and Waldo sold the car, and I think I remember who got it, but I will verify it before posting.

I have some more pics of the race this car was at in Jackson; I am scanning them right now, and will post some more tonight or tomorrow. Have some more from a race at Altus 1/4 mile.

Thanks to Jimmy Meredith and his family for letting me scan these.

Dang it.....it just doesn't pay to take a day off and not look at this History thread. I remember when that car first showed up at Hwy 16 and everyone went.....whoa!!!

Ok, here is another little bit of trivia then, since I missed out on this one....just to pile on....

What other well known and well respected race car from a Midwest(?) race shop did Waldo bring to South Texas in the 80's??

Tom answers in 6, 5, 4, 3,.....2, and

Billy

The last car Waldo owned was an Ed Howe house car. We first saw it in early 1985 at a big open late model race in San Antonio where Freddy Fryar drove it. Fryar was driving the #46 of Eddie Howard, who hailed from Harahan, Louisiana. Freddy took over this ride after Rat Lane left it.

Anyway, Fryar suffered a tire puncture during practice and backed the 46 into the wall, bending it beyond a quick repair. Harper then put Fryar in his ex Ed howe car. This was run as a #10 when Howe had it, and I know where a pic of it with Howe in it is......

In this particular race, it had a lot of new unpainted body panels, pretty much everything except the roof. I have a pic I took myself of this car in my Fotki Album.

This was a race with about 42 or so entries. There was Dick Anderson from Florida, Don Wilson and Rick Carelli from Colorado, Bobby Kolar from Oklahoma, and the usual gang of Texas hot-shoes. Slick Yoemans was the man to beat this day, driving the Jim Pallas #4.

Another notable car brought to this area was an ex-Mark Martin ASA car that Toby O'Connor of San Antonio purchased. Nothing against him, but the car was far ahead of his abilities. He never had any success with it; we only saw it a couple times. Waldo and Greg Davidson were noted for getting cars from Dick Anderson back in the day.

And San Antonio also saw visits by Mark Martin, who came to help shake down one of Robin McCall's early Dillon All Pro cars; Ray Dillon himself, who came to help Jerry Schild and Greg Davidson, who had bought cars at the same time. Larry Phillips was at San Antonio on a couple different occassions.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived