HMP Modified Feature Video 3-24-12

chrisdavid

They will figure it out on their own, who they can block and who they cannot. Takes a few fenders to figure it out. Now that is exciting, watching them figure it out. Beats a train show.

I would much rather watch a guy try to figure out how to get around someone WITHOUT having to drive through them to do it. Now that is exciting!!! I'd be willing to bet that owners and drivers alike would agree with that being more exciting and less expensive.

A true fan does NOT like to see cars driving through other cars. They want to watch "RACING". Yes a few like to go to the races to see the wrecks but they are not like most of the fans who like to watch racing. Anytime a "Yellow" comes out we all know it going to be a little later in getting home. And if its a major wreck we all know there is a good chance we wont see that car back next week (or longer). As the season goes on and this becomes a habit many cars will be torn up beyond repair or not as competitive as it once was. Then before you know it a few drivers will say "Enough" and decide not to race there anymore. We pay good money to watch races and the owners of the cars pay good money to build and race them for us. I'll stop now before I say something that will get me in trouble.

A true fan does NOT like to see cars driving through other cars. They want to watch "RACING". Yes a few like to go to the races to see the wrecks but they are not like most of the fans who like to watch racing. Anytime a "Yellow" comes out we all know it going to be a little later in getting home. And if its a major wreck we all know there is a good chance we wont see that car back next week (or longer). As the season goes on and this becomes a habit many cars will be torn up beyond repair or not as competitive as it once was. Then before you know it a few drivers will say "Enough" and decide not to race there anymore. We pay good money to watch races and the owners of the cars pay good money to build and race them for us. I'll stop now before I say something that will get me in trouble.

He must have just started watching NASCAR when the implemented "boys have at it".

we saw some awesome racing last year when the races got close in the trucks mods and prostocks and I'm sure we'll see it agai this year. Once the field got off the top of each other and had room to race there was some awesome runs in the mod race. First race of the year, first race in a class for some. Will there be some rivalries that last all year because of this race? I'm sure. Despite how many fans left there were a lot of fans still there to see the end. It'll be another great solid year at HMP and I'm looking forward to watching it all!

You guys crack me up. Do you really think the fans care how many hours it takes or how much it money it takes to fix that car? Madhouse rules prevent blocking and "protecting the low line". Madhouse rules rock dude.

Yup, just as I figured. Regardless of TV dubbing those shows as "reality", they are anything but! Anyway, to each his own.

You guys crack me up. Do you really think the fans care how many hours it takes or how much it money it takes to fix that car? Madhouse rules prevent blocking and "protecting the low line". Madhouse rules rock dude.

Yup, just as I figured. Regardless of TV dubbing those shows as "reality", they are anything but! Anyway, to each his own.

I don't think maverick is talking about the show itself. It's the Madhouse Rules that he's enjoying.

Nick

I don't think maverick is talking about the show itself. It's the Madhouse Rules that he's enjoying.

Nick

That he got of off the show. ;) None-the-less, I am totally against what he claims to be good racing.

Nick

That he got of off the show. ;) None-the-less, I am totally against what he claims to be good racing.

A couple of points:

1) Actually, HMP's John Mandabach got the rules from the show and implemented them last season.

2) There weren't any empty seats in those huge, aluminum, HMP grandstands. Folks were standing on the sidewalks . I guess some aren't "totally against" what they feel is good racing.

Nick

A couple of points:

1) Actually, HMP's John Mandabach got the rules from the show and implemented them last season.

2) There weren't any empty seats in those huge, aluminum, HMP grandstands. Folks were standing on the sidewalks . I guess some aren't "totally against" what they feel is good racing.

Nick

Nick

You've got it partially right. The fans love the Madhouse Rules, but only when it leads to fast paced, competitive racing. The fans even like a slow driver being moved out of the way by a faster driver when they refuse to move or when they're mirror driving. But, when there's caution after caution and delay upon delay, fans get bored and frustrated and they leave, as happened Sat nite. People started leaving in the middle of what's supposed to be the feature race (and is scheduled last so they will stay for the whole show).

As I said above, fans love good racing with lots of action - they don't like long and repeated delays caused by........well you fill in the blank.

Nick

A couple of points:

Nick

Actually, the current race rules developed from a long conversation with the owner of Bowman Gray Stadium, Gray Garrison and NOT from the show Madhouse. Gray convinced us that respect is given and earned on the race track. It's what the racers want, what the fans want and most times ends in better racing. It takes 95% of the race call subjectivity out of the mix. However, sometimes a black flag can help.

If racers want completely non-contact racing, we can recommend a good road course track on the other side of Houston. However, HMP does not want all the crashes either. We don't believe that fans enjoy long delay and lots of yellows. And we KNOW what happens at 10:30pm regardless of what is happening on the track. However, we will not be making any knee jerk reactions to what happened last Saturday night. We are confident our racers have the talent and intelligence to figure it out on the race track. We may warm up the black flag for those that need some additional encouragement. We will continue on the current path and focus on ending the show by 10-10:30pm. Our racers at HMP understand the importance of this as well and we are very appreciative of their support.

Hopefully, the fans will give us another chance to prove we can put on a great show and get them home at a decent hour. We will find out on April 7th at Fiesta's Speedfest presented by Cricket Wireless.

Personally I would respect the driver that could drive around my driver cleanly more than the one that drove through him; this is speaking as a fan. I have no vested interest in your track persoanlly but I have a huge interest in the sport itself. I really can't complain though since your stands were packed.

That was a very good night of racing.I have waited to see if any of the posts saying otherwise would convince me.I was one of those that got up with 15 laps to go and watched from the sidewalk.The racing has nothing to to with it.I have learned that I can get home by 2am instead of 2:30-3am if I am one of the leading cars out of the parking lot.Almost all of the spectators sitting next to us left more due to the mosquitoes than anything else.The marketing, dollar beer, and hot dogs have a lot to do with the size of the crowd,but one of the biggest improvements is the grooming of the racing surface to create more side by side racing as well as the madhouse restarts.Fans do not want to see a lot of wrecks and have to sit through a lot of cautions but,we know it is a product of good hard racing.None of us like to watch racers follow the leader so they won't hurt someone's feelings.Good hard nose racing will always result in some accidents.And yes they are almost always "accidents".Once in a while someone gets mean and it is unfortunate.The uproar about Bristol is related to the subject of this thread.There are some fans who say the Bristol boo birds only want to see more wrecking.This just isn't true.They just don't want to watch the side by side racing where each driver picks a lane and then tips their hats to each other as they slowly but surely work they way around each other.Just like they do in practice.Fans want to know that there is a chance the pass will fail,and sometimes that failure ends up in an accident,unfortunately.If the racers take some seriously about touching each other,then kiss those full grandstands goodbye.The cheap concessions get new people to the track but the show is what keeps them coming back.

Is a wreck caused by a driver being mean,or was he/she just trying to win a race by progressing forward in the field?Sometimes trying to make a pass results in a driver going in to deep,judging a breaking point wrong,brakes lock up,over accelerating on exit of a turn resulting in a tapped left rear quarter.All of those will end if you guys just follow the leader.And all of us mislabeled "wreck lovers" will go away and you wont have to put up with us.And Maverick is right in saying it is most fans.Where he is wrong is we are not wreck lovers but hard nosed, exciting, tough racing lovers.And that,unfortunately results in those hated wrecks and cautions.

Please don't get politically correct and ruin the sport like so much else in life has been.

Archived