Safety Notice

For those of you were not at the race this past Saturday at Thunderhill to see Mike Steinman's off track excursion.

It was a stern reminder that someone could be seriously injured any time you are at the racetrack. Safety needs to be the primary concern for all of us to protect racers and fans from injury.

Mike's steering column separated from the frame of his kart leaving him unable to control his machine and left the track at 80mph heading towards the wall. Luckily Thunderhill has plenty of runoff room and he stopped just short of the fence by the parking area outside of turn four.

There is an m8x14 washer that should be installed between the frame and nut that secures the steering shaft to the frame. Removal of (or forgetting about) this washer allows the steering column to come out of the frame if the C-clip breaks and could lead to serious injury. This is what happened to Mike. Please check to make sure you have this in place before your next session.

Birel has a retrofit kit designed specifically to prevent such an incident. Part #10.10294.00 is available from MRP and is easily installed. I highly suggest you order this part.

If you do not have either the washer or the kit installed for the next race at Thunderhill, YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RACE.

Thank You

Lyndon Kirk

Pro Kart Distributors

Lyndon,

Thanks for doing the research on the part number to order! It was a crazy ride I took...and Thank GOD for a little luck of not hitting anything or getting flipped and ejected out of the kart.

Craziest ride I ever have had in a kart!!

Mike Steinman

So...Here is what happened on my kart to cause me to goff track at Thunderhill. The C-Clip that holds the bearing in place in the frame, at the bottom of the Ackerman broke. Which allowed the bearing to come out of the frame.Since the nut on the bottom of the Ackerman only holds it to the bearing, once the c-clip broke complete loss of control was imminent. My fix was 3 fold to make sure it doesn't happen to me again.

1. I clean the bearing and in bearing mount point on the frame then replaced the C-clip with a new c-clip to hold the bearing in the frame beteen the c-clip and the flange under the mounting point.

2. I followed Lyndon's advice and put a washer under the frame flange that the Ackerman mount goes through and then put the nut on. If the C-clip breaks again...the washer will hold the Ackerman in place until you can replace a borken c-clip. Then put on a new speed clip on the end of the Ackerman where there is a groove for it.

3. I ordered a Ackerman collar that goes under the top mount and locks in place with set screws. I took of my Steering wheel pulled the Ackerman out of the top mount, slid the collar over the Ackerman and then re-installed it. So if the C-Clip breaks...and for some reason the washer doesn't hold or breaks...I still have the collar on which will not allow the Ackerman to come out as well.

If you have any questions about my fix, call me. I also have pictures on my phone of the parts I fixed and where they go that I can text to you.

Thanks

Mike Steinman

512-496-4371

Archived