old racing newspaper

CorcoranSuperMod

Any one remember a racing newspaper that covered Houston area racing around 1970 ? Not sure where it was published and how much of TX. it actually covered. I am looking for an early 1970 issue with a front page story titled " Who the hell is Frank Hill ? " It was formated similar to Speed Sport News. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any one remember a racing newspaper that covered Houston area racing around 1970 ? Not sure where it was published and how much of TX. it actually covered. I am looking for an early 1970 issue with a front page story titled " Who the hell is Frank Hill ? " It was formated similar to Speed Sport News. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know during the early to mid 60's it was the Illustrated Speedway News, but not sure it lasted into the 70's - It was sold at the main gate at Meyer Speedway for years - It was a large-format newspaper with a "cover" of excellent black and white photos - lots of great racing news from around the country - I wish I'd kept all them I bought back then! And I remember Frank Hill, does anyone else?

I know during the early to mid 60's it was the Illustrated Speedway News, but not sure it lasted into the 70's - It was sold at the main gate at Meyer Speedway for years - It was a large-format newspaper with a "cover" of excellent black and white photos - lots of great racing news from around the country - I wish I'd kept all them I bought back then! And I remember Frank Hill, does anyone else?

Thanks for the tip on Illustrated Speedway News. Did a search and found it went well into the 70's , but I'm still not totally sure that's the publication I'm looking for. I was thinking it was more of a southwest, short track regional coverage deal, possibly a short lived venture , but it is possible it was a regional coverage issue of I.S.N, they did do that occasionally. Absolutly amazing how much of that stuff is still out there after all these years.

I have a paper i got at Meyer Speedway in July 1973.

The Paper was call Southwest Speed Sport and Published by Houston Communications.

The paper i have has the Cover store titled Butch Briggs : The "Graduate".

It also has results from Meyer Sppedway and the Winston Cup race at Daytona (Firecraker Race)

hey steve i remember the paper you could get at meyers when i was working on phil cronins cars in the mid 70s do you or does any one know if you can find any of the old papers online and view them

I have a paper i got at Meyer Speedway in July 1973.

The Paper was call Southwest Speed Sport and Published by Houston Communications.

The paper i have has the Cover store titled Butch Briggs : The "Graduate".

It also has results from Meyer Sppedway and the Winston Cup race at Daytona (Firecraker Race)

Sounds exactly as I remember it, but my search turned up nothing. Hope we get an answer to Norman's question. Do you know how often they were printed ?, weekly, monthly ? The issue I was interested in covered most area track openings in 1970, but sure would be a great find if any/all were available.

Archived