wet sump engine height

bret90

Class: SLM crate series

Motor: 604

Chassis: new style Port City Anderson Elite (4.5" rh big spring with 5" crossmember height).

This is a new build and there are no other cars to look at nearby.

The rules say 10" crank height but with the pan flush with the bottom of the xmember it is at 12".

Car is designed for decent travel. Machined Sweet rack etc

Is a low travel tour type chassis better when using a big wetsump pan?

Thanks for the replies

not a new build(yours might be new but there are several of those cars out there) but i would think you would rather drag the cross member rather than the oil pan. unless your not gonna travel it much keep it flush or a quarter inch higher just in case.

thanks for the help.

So i guess these wetsumps just sit up high? My teammates motor is a drysump. His motor sits at 10". My rules say 10" also, but im at 12" And we have the same chassis.

The rackbolts hit at 3.5" shock travel.

My rules say 10" crank height.

My question is: should I go for travel with motor at 12" or set my motor lower and limit travel?

thanks for the help.

So i guess these wetsumps just sit up high? My teammates motor is a drysump. His motor sits at 10". My rules say 10" also, but im at 12" And we have the same chassis.

The rackbolts hit at 3.5" shock travel.

My rules say 10" crank height.

My question is: should I go for travel with motor at 12" or set my motor lower and limit travel?

That two inches is the biggest reason for the added hassle of dry sump. My opinion is to not limit travel - hitting bump stops will make it suddenly push like a field plow and kinda hard to predict the ragged edge (add in a lil bump from the rear and what you thought was an entry right on that edge suddenly sends you straight to the wall) - stiffening spring to limit will add push that now must be compensated for in geometry AND weight dist... The higher CG can usually be compensated for in geometry alone.

• 1 month later...

Archived