Missing at 5500 and above

MadRacing19

Ok maybe someone can figure this one out ? Half way thru the feature motor started banging top end . Tach would got crazy ,thought it was electrical. Changed battery ,dist., wires ,plugs, carb, checked all the wiring found no problem or solution . Motor will free rev to any rpm but under a load above 5000/5500 motor trips out . Today I checked valve springs for a broken one and found no problems . Atleast that you can see. Now I am pulling intake now to see if maybe a lobe on the cam went flat. If this is not the problem then mabye someone else has an idea. The motor is a flat top .40 bore with 58cc heads. Solid cam . Roller rockers blah blah blah. Some help would be nice. Thanks.

You mentioned that you check the valve springs visually for broken ones. Your problem may still lie there if you have one or more of them getting weak. If it's valve float you're feeling, the problem needs to be fixed soon before it leads to bigger problems. The other suggestions are all good also.

Also check your float level - should just trickle over the bottom edge of the sight hole at idle.

ss99

The tach was one of the first things I did. I forgot to mention earlier. Changed jets, checked float level, checked for timing being off at high rpm , Changed dist. again(3rd time) Checked for flat cam lobes and now we have the heads off. Valve springs look weird . Inner springs maybe broken. Going to put new heads on in the morning. I do run stud gurdle. Thanks for all the help so far I will try almost anything about now. Will be back tomorrow to let everyone know is the head change did it or not.

The high-speed air bleeds (the smallest ones) in the carburetor may have a small piece of dirt in one of them. Take the metering block off. Cover your windshield. Spray carb cleaner spray (using straw nozzle) thru all holes in carb body and thru metering block. Should have a good stream of cleaner flowing thru the air bleeds. Air blow dry. Reassemble metering block.

P.S. Carb spray will damage your lexan windshield if you clean the carb while it is still on the engine.

weak valve springs will cause a high rpm miss, aka valve float. if this is the case you will drop a valve and destroy the motor. you need to check the seat pressure and open pressure, if you dont know how take it to a good machine shop and have them check it.

big john

p.s. flat cam will run like crap at all rpm.

Archived