North Texas race tracks

1st I would like to say hi to everyone since Iam new to this site. I live just outside Dallas and not having a paved track near here(other than TMS) is driving me crazy. I have been to THR and enjoyed the racing there, but the 3hr drive is to much for weekly trips. Why hasnt anyone built a paved track around here? I think late model/pro stock racing should be growing in Texas by leaps and bounds. This area has plenty of racing fans and Iam sure there are drivers in the area. I think getting ASA here was a step in the right direction, but with a track around Dallas I would think that other touring series would come here to race. I seen the post about the car count at THR and wonder why? Is the interest just not there? Remember I am just a race fan and I dont know what it takes to run a race track or a race team. But I know I would love to see late models going around a half mile paved track each week and not having to drive 3 hrs to see them.

Thanks

There is a very short history of pavement tracks in the metroplex; the most recent one was a 1/4 mile track on Fulghum Road between Wilmer-Hutchins. It was pretty much gone by the mid-seventies. At one time it was called "Salvage Speedway". The only other track I remember in that area was at the old Dallas Int'l Motor Speedway, a complex located in what is roughly Lewisville now. It had, or was going to have, a half-mile, but I can't find anyone who can say for sure it was ever built.

Can't say why no pavement up there. Too much dirt racing, maybe?

As recently as last year, there was a rumor going around that the dirt track at Texas Motor Speedway would be paved, but nothing ever came of it.

Being from Arlington,there used to be one off of Jefferson in the 60's, and one around Duncanville that was 1/4 mile,I don't remember going to any races at that one,but I remember us tuning my dads sprint car there while we ran a 1/4 midget around the track,no it couldn't keep up with the sprint car. There is a track in Wichita falls and Altus are closest ,the Lewisville area track was a drag strip,years ahead of its time but closed. There is too many dirt cars up there for one to be very successful,plus the cost of running on asphalt.

The rumor about paving the dirt track at TMS was mentioned in the pits at the ASA race last weekend. I heard that Bruton was thinking about paving all of the dirt tracks at his big venues and running ASA as a companion to NASCAR. This is from a person that had a meeting with ASA during the weekend.

Archived