Shocks

labrat

When installing shocks, do I want to install the shocks completely extended or do I what to make sure they are compressed an inch or two, or half the stroke of the shock? The shocks I am going to use have a seven inch stroke and they are going on the front of the car (installing weight jacks in the car). Any and all info is gratefully appriciated!

Thanks Gary

not an easy answer,this is how I do it....the left front you will want to jack the car up (unloading the suspension) and tack weld the mounts then let the car down and make sure you still have a couple inches of travel at ride height (for bumps). On the right front I leave the car at ride height and manually compress the shock about 2 inches and mount there....then remove the spring and jack the suspension up and make sure it is not bottoming out before the control arms do....

well..maybe I should have asked if this was for dirt or asphalt.....if you center up a dirt car your gonna bottom them out..or lift the left front....if its asphalt.....dont ask me....dont know...dont care...lol

AJ hit the nail on the head - how you design your shock mounts is different for asphalt and dirt. With modern asphalt setups, you'll see much more compression travel than rebound travel on the front, so you'd want to build your mounts accordingly. In the rear, you don't see a whole lot of shock travel up or down, so centered up or something close to that would work fine.

On dirt, it's a whole different can of worms. One thing to remember - the shock doesn't know where the piston is in relation to the available travel in either direction - until it bottoms or tops out.

I love these kind of questions. I get to learn something!. Question....How come the Dirt cars can come run on Asphalt and run so damn good? Do they have two different shock mounts or something?

Seems that it would be able to handle less travel easier than more! If the shocks are not bottoming or topping on dirt it is unlikely they would on asphalt as there is less travel involved. As Chase said - the shocks SHOULD be consistent all the way thru the travel until bottom or top is reached!

The car is going to be set up for a street stock at I37 for next season. This car was set up once for this class untill I bought it and converted it over to asphalt, but now it is going back to dirt. I still have the orignal set up for the front, but I don't like the way the shocks were mounted and I want to mount them a different way. When I remount them I just want to make sure it's done right the first time.

• 4 months later...
well..maybe I should have asked if this was for dirt or asphalt.....if you center up a dirt car your gonna bottom them out..or lift the left front....if its asphalt.....dont ask me....dont know...dont care...lol

I love that answer AJ. Right on

Na...its just cause dirt drivers are so much better....lol. couldn't let that one go.......

Don't know how much better we are, we just aren't worried about our paint jobs and how shiny everything is, we just drive it off in there and hope for the best coming out...Hehe

Archived