Rear end bearings

Cummins359

Does anyone know of any shops up in north austin that will press the bearings on a carrier. And what do yall think that would cost.

Wife ran our 05 durango dry, i gotta replace all the bearings, came home one day and said, The trucks makin this roaring noise, damn dr side wheel seal took a dump pumpkin was bone dry

:blink:

Throw the carrier and bearings in the freezer for a couple hours and tap them on. I do this all the time with different stuff that has a press fit.

using temp is good for up to a .008 interference for most metals - carrier bearings are .004 so maybe...

Works best to chill the inside part and heat the outside part. that's how a wrist pin press works - heat the eye (rod end) and push the cold pin in like butter. When doing this just remember - DO NOT STOP, GO THE ENTIRE WAY IN ONE PUSH.

though I do not recommend heating a caged bearing, if you choose to use the oven in the house instead.

big ditto - and 300 is as hot as I would go (at 350 the protectant film will ash up - and the races and balls will be in a huge bind from their own temp size change).

We had a hydrogen vat and an industrial oven. Made life simple!

Archived