Rebs Race Report

texana55

Aaron Hudgeons Memorial/South Texas Street Stock Shootout @ Texana Raceway Park, 8-27-11

By J M Hallas

Edna, Tx.(Aug. 27Th, 2011) It was a special night Saturday as Texana Raceway Park hosted their 2nd Annual Aaron Hudgeons Memorial, plus round 2 of the South Texas Street Stock Shootout on the 5/16 mile, semi-banked clay track. Fifty-three drivers from across Texas and Louisiana signed in for the $2500 to win Limited Modified main event, with 35 Street Stocks competing for their increased purse.

Numerous sponsors stepped up adding to the special purse commemorating the life of Aaron Hudgeons, long time racer and chassis builder in the south Texas area. The soft spoken Hudgeons, who was one of those rare competitors that was always willing to help other racers, even those in own class, lost his battle with cancer last year. Hudgeons is still respected by all those that knew or raced with him over his career.

Along with the big payday for the winner many other special awards were sponsored in the Limited Modified class, as well as the Street Stock class. The unique format included qualifying in the Limited Modified and Street Stocks, with B-mains completing the fields. Two provisionals would be added to make a 26-car Limited Modified starting grid, with 24 taking the green in Street Stocks.

Not only was it a full house in the pits with 100 cars in the three classes, but a huge fan turnout filling the grandstands, and grassy seating areas. During pre-race ceremonies track promoter Ken Bulsterbaum was leading into the invocation relating Hudgeons story and paying tribute to track owner Bruce Tesch's mother who recently passed away, when two lone birds did a flyover the track. Eerie!

Mikulencak Masters Limited Modified Main

Veteran Corpus Christi ace Lawrence Mikulencak, in a car that's been 'transformed' more times than the movie, used patience to grab the big win in the 26-car feature. Mikulencak, who qualified second behind Dustin Butcher, trailed Butcher the first third of the 30-lap event. Using the high side, Mikulencak took two laps to get by Butcher for the lead on lap 12. East Texas hot shoe, Johno Whittington chased Mikulencak through the last half of the race, but at the checkers it was Mikulencak by four car lengths over Whittington. Art Rodriguez, former NASCAR and USAC driver Paul White and Brandon Blaylock who filled out the top five.

Kaleb Hudgeons, who begins his racing career next season in a Mini Stock bearing his fathers number 10, paced the starting field in a three-wide salute parade lap. As they green finally waved, Butcher jumped out front, but a mid-pack stack up saw Ray Doyon III get kicked around for a yellow. On the second start Mikulencak and Butcher stayed side by side through turns 1-2 before Butcher edged out front. Doyon again found himself facing the wrong way for a lap 1 caution.

The restart saw a similar back up in the pack with John Lieta, Jesse Manning and Chris Swenson getting tangled in turn 4. Going to single file, Butcher got a good jump on Mikulencak and Art Rodriguez, with Whittington getting past Blaylock for fourth. A caution for debris on lap 4 briefly slowed the action. Once back to green Whittington took third from A. Rodriguez, while White moved up from his eighth qualifying spot to battle with Blaylock for fifth.

Whittington then began to pressure Mikulencak for second on lap 8 with look high. Mikulencak decided it was time to go and gave the high groove a try also. Mikulencak gave Butcher several looks up top, as White and Blaylock continued to swap fifth. Mikulencak got along side Butcher on lap 11 and was able to clear him going into to turn 3 and lead lap 12 as Butcher tried to battle back.

Once Mikulencak cleared Butcher, Whittington moved along side him and got by coming to halfway showing Mikulencak, Whittington, Butcher, A. Rodriguez and Blaylock still wheel to wheel with White for fifth. Trevor Egbert brought out a lap 16 yellow when he had trouble and rolled to a stop in turn 4. As racing resumed Mikulencak eased ahead as Butcher tried Whittington low for second. Butcher spun in turn 2, causing A. Rodriguez to go around for a lap 17 yellow.

Back under green the top four got away as Blaylock now had his hands full with Houston veteran Howard Willis, who was moving up after qualifying through one of the B-mains. With ten to go Mikulencak was inching away from Whittington and A. Rodriguez. That margin was erased on lap 22 when Greg Metz spun in turn 4.

Mikulencak jumped out on green while Blaylock and Willis resumed their battle. As the flagman showed the field five fingers, Mikulencak had only two car lengths on Whittington. Whittington could inch closer in the corners, but Mikulencak could pull him coming off. As the white waved, Mikulencak, in the Ace Transmissions, Randy Young Auto Repair, Premier Graphics, “Frankenstein” chassis had a four car advantage that held for the victory.

“I miss racing racing with Aaron(Hudgeons),” commented Mikulencak. “I really respected and enjoyed racing with him. This is a good race for us to win. He's one of the guys that more racers need to be like.”

“It took a lot of patience and a good 'free' car to pull of the win. Last year I had some mechanical problems and there were a few good cars here. This year there were a lot more fast guys, more than I expected. So this is a big win for us.”

“I didn't find much on he high side trying to get by Dustin(Butcher). I was just patient out there and tried to run him a little faster. Johno(Whittington) was in the mix too, so I had to do something. I just had a good enough car.”

“This is the same car I've been running on asphalt all year. All the weight is on the left front, everything is the same except for the tires. This car is the same one I ran as a Modified and that you've been a calling a “Frankenstein” for ten years. It was built on a metric frame and I've taken all the Modified rear bars off and put a stock frame on it. It probably still has the cracked motor mount on it.(inside joke).” added the always entertaining Mikulencak who won a Modified race here before with a broken motor mount.

Limited Modifieds

87 Lawrence Mikulencak, 511 Johno Whittington, 22 Art Rodriguez, 2w Paul White, 9b Brandon Blaylock, 12m Howard Willis, 26g JJ Jennings, 75 Joel Couvillion, 66 Johnny Torres, 12 Roly Rodriguez, 63 Shane Hoefling, 174 Mickey Helms, 184 Brian Rye, 9 David Meredith, 20 Dwayne Norvell, 76 Jesse Manning, 4 Robby Minten, 955 Greg Metz, 24 John Lieta, 147 GW Hessong, 9D Ray Doyon III, 90 Dustin Butcher, 48 Chris Swenson, 5A Trevor Egbert, 151 Adam Perks, 19 Bubba Seals

Awards

$400 Dale Earnhardt die cast from Pray Racing, 87 Lawrence Mikulencak

$150 Longest tow from defending winner Steve Whiteaker jr., 75 Joel Couvillion(Alexandria, La.)

$100 Fast Qualifier from Ace Transmission; 90 Dustin Butcher

$200 Fastest non-qualifier to make A-main from Corpus “C” Cars, 66 Johnny Torres

$50 ea. Two highest non-qualifiers to not make A-main from South Texas Speedway, 85 Jeff Nix, 211x Dean Hollier

H500 Tire, Hard charger from Bebo Race Designs, 12m Howard Willis

$100 Hard luck award from Big Dog Racing, 5A Trevor Egbert

(4) $50 O'Riellys gift cards from Art Rodriguez to 4 random non-qualifiers, 2 Robert Boyd, 18 Larry Jernigan, 04 Jacob Burnett, 63s Chase Sanchez

Provisionals; 147 GW Hessong (highest track points to not make A-main—Gave points to points leader Jensen Pray unable to make event due to Family emergency), 151 Adam Perks(promoters choice)

Limited Modified B-mains(Top 3 to A-main)

B-main 1

66 Johnny Torres, 184 Brian Rye, 9 David Meredith, 151 Adam Perks, 8 Lary Paris, 26 David McBride, 56 Brad Titzman, 119 Eric Floyd, 3j Jesse James, 10D Don Painter, 25 John Morgan

B-main 2

5A Trevor Egbert, 12m Howard Willis, 48 Chris Swenson, 83 Monte Nichols III, 37 Bill Pittaway, 115 Chuck Perry, 47 James Myers, 18 Larry Jernigan, 82 Brandon Dorsey, 81 Victor Lindsey, 11 Tom Grothues

B-main 3

174 Mickey Helms, 76 Jesse Manning, 20 Dwayne Norvell, 04 Jacob Burnett, 211x Dean Hollier, 1 Trice Hermes, 147 GW Hessong, 71w Bart Wilcox, 2 Robert Boyd, 3 Abraham Mares

B-main 4

26g JJ Jennings, 12 Roly Rodriguez, 4 Robby Minten, 85 Jeff Nix, 155 Vince Kacir, 63s Chase Sanchez, 68 Chris Shafer, 6 Vince Louden, 118 Anthony Gordon

Jones Out Jousts Jack in Street Stock Shootout

Top qualifier, Wade Jones took command early in the Street Stock Shootout chased by a handful of the best local fender car drivers. Jones was pressured in latter stages by Bobby Jack and Stephan Danielson as the 25-lapper wound down. On the final lap Jack got under Jones in turn 3 and came off tun 4 side by side. Jones won the drag race to the checkers by only a few inches to snag the flag to flag win.

As the 24-car field took the green, Jones was first into tun 1 trailed by Tony Blankenship, Jack, Brian King and Danielson. Jack, King and Blankenship were almost three wide for second on lap 1 with Jack getting the spot as the top six sorted out single file. King and Blankenship were side by side for third on lap 3, while Bubba Seals, Dennis Hilla and GW Hessong were three wide for eighth. Seals and Hilla then went three abreast with Anthony Gordon for seventh as Seals made his way forward.

Alan Kunkel and Mike Moseley tangled on lap 9 leaving Moseley in the front stretch wall for the races first yellow. Once back to racing, Jack and Blankenship were door to door for second, Danielson and Chris Shafer side by side for fourth and Seals taking sixth from King, who began to fade before retiring early. Coming to the crossed flags it was Jones easing away, Jack, Danielson and Blankenship, while Seals and Shafer swapped fifth.

Hessong spun on lap 11, with Aaron Leddy and AJ Wernette spinning behind him bringing out the final yellow. As Jones inched ahead on green, Blankenship and Shafer were door to door, with Seals looking for a way by both. Seals finally got by Shafer for fifth on lap 16, then picked off fourth from Blankenship with AJ Dancer following in his tracks.

With five to go the top three were within a car length and holding a margin over fourth through seventh. Jack began to put the heat on Jones looking low on lap 21 as the top three were nose to tail. Behind them Dancer took fourth from Seals. Jack again got a nose under Jones as they came to the white flag. The two battled into turn 3 where Jack nearly got the advantage. As they raced to the checkers it was Jones in the Opiela Mechanical, Horelka Racing, Mission Auto Parts, SABFI, Mobil 1, Jeff's Auto Rebuilders, 74 Ranch & Resort, Camaro holding on for the victory by less than a foot.

“It was a tough field out there tonight,” replied Jones. “Bobby Jack, Stephan Danielson and AJ Dancer was moving up quick. I'm lucky I qualified on the pole like I did. We tried a few different things in practice last night. We finally found something(that worked) and took a little wedge out. It worked out pretty good for us.”

“I kind of burned my tires off towards the end and Bobby got inside me. I wasn't sure what to think when I saw him under me. Bobby's a real clean racer and he gave me space. I tried to keep him pinned down so he couldn't get a good run off turn 4. Sure enough it worked out.”

“We didn't change much from our I-37 set up. We had a little more roll out and changed gears, that's about it.”

Street Stocks

41 Wade Jones, 88j Bobby Jack, 149 Stephan Danielson, 52 AJ Dancer, 91 Bubba Seals, 77 Chris Shafer, 35 Tony Blankenship, 3 Steve Miller, 11 Shawn Kline, 118 Anthony Gordon, 37w Frank Okruhlik, 26 GW Hessong, 2x Dennis Hilla, 21x Jason Fox, 23 David Bruns, 53 Jason Kelly, 55 Lauren Chamberlain, 58 James Hoss, 93 Aaron Leddy, 37 AJ Wernette, 9* Brad Hayes, 31 Brian King, 68 Alan Kunkel, 3m Mike Moseley

$100 Pole Award from King Racing - Wade Jones #41

(Award formerly for a winner with a Mud Buster sticker was changed to $25 Awards to each B-Main winner)

B-Main winners getting $25 each: Jason Fox #21x and Mike Mosely #3

$100 7th Place Finisher Award from Dynamic Race Craft - Tony Blankenship #35

$50 Hard Charger Award from Dynamic Race Craft - AJ Dancer #52 (started 17th and finished 4th.. Frank Okruhlik #37w also increased the same number of positions, but was not registered in the Shootout series.)

G60 Tire Certificate from Swenson Racing Chassis for Hard Charger - AJ Dancer #52

$250 value Bobby Labonte die cast car from Pray Racing to feature winner - Wade Jones #41

$50 drawn at start of feature for a position between 11th to 24th from G&R Racing. Number was 17 - Lauren Chamberlain #55

Street Stock B-mains(Top 5 to A-main)

B-main 1

21x Jason Fox, 52 AJ Dancer, 3 Steve Miller, 58 James Hoss, 53 Jason Kelly, 2 Scott Stubbs, 7 Cody Leonard, 76 Kevin McElveen, 4 David McGuire, 74 Charlie Raburn---DNS

B-main-2

3m Mike Moseley, 11 Shawn Kline, 37w Frank Okruhlik, 55 Lauren Chamberlain, 9* Brad Hayes, 50 Kevin Willms, 89F Matt Farris, 04 Dustin Robbins, 42 Curtis King, 22 Patricia Lucas

Victor Vargas grabbed the early lead in the 20-lap, 12-car Dwarf Car feature. Mike Christians got around Vargas on lap 2 but gave up the lead to Greg Sexton sr. when he slipped in turns 1-2. From there Sexton sr. stretched out his lead going on to take the win by a comfortable margin over Christians, Vargas, Brad Wright and Douglas Wright.

Dwarf Cars

14 Greg Sexton sr., 13 Mike Christians, 24 Victor Vargas, 1 Brad Wright, 66 Douglas Wright, 15 Gary Faris, 11 Jerry Godfrey, 4 Geoffrey Youngblood, 6 Keith Samples, 5 Keith Horella, 7 Greg Sexton jr., 2EZ Easy Casey

Dwarf Car heat winners; 2EZ Easy Casey, Greg Sexton sr.

This post has been edited by rebelracewriter: Today, 03:59 PM

--------------------

J M Hallas

RIP Mom.....10/29/29-10/25/08

In memory of Pooh Bear 9/27/90-1/8/07 Daddy's little baby girl

http://petsupports.com/bear01.htm

2006 All American Motorsports Outstanding Achievement Award Winner

i think that if a fellow racer is sportsman enough to tell an official that he got drove into another car and that car spun around that the officials should be dilligent in their decision especially in a big race!! #75 SPORTMOD said he told the official in the blue shirt and he did nothing. im not trying to bad mouth rather trying to let the officials knoe its ok to reverse a decision based on honesty from a drivers prospective! had fun over all and thank you to the track for the hospitality in the pits!!

53 Sport Mods, 35 Street Stocks, a dozen or so dwarfs, lots going on in the pits.

Congrats to Wade Jones on his flag to flag win in the Streets. That includes setting fast time. He got some challenges after the last caution when he picked a big push, but he held on thto win by inches in a great last lap. Second place finisher Bobby Jack had several chances to lean on Jones, but he drove a very clean race, as did the third place car (Danielson?).

Nice to see come clean respectful racing like that among the leaders.

Lawrence Mikulencak did just what you expect of him, ran the leader close, and when he was ready, went on by. Good close racing amongst Lawrence, John O Whittington, and the rest up front. Was neat to see Hudgeon's son pace the starting field in his mini stock car.

There was some stuff that did not have to happen, but that seems to be the norm these days.

Had great visits with Paul White, Greg Wade, John Heinaman, Bobby Cunningham, Tommy Grothues and crew chief Roger, all the Horelka gang, Steve Miller, Ricky Schroat, the Swensons, Gordons, Jim Cole and all their crew, and I am sure I am missing a few.

Saw Rebel up in the press box, but he was busy giving all of ya'll the scoop on the races. Also saw Monty Chamberlain, but didn't get a chance to talk, as he was busy jogging between his daughter's car and the pressbox.

The show ran a little long but the track held up in excellent shape, and a breeze took the edge off the heat.

Congrats to all on a night of racing for a great cause.

i think that if a fellow racer is sportsman enough to tell an official that he got drove into another car and that car spun around that the officials should be dilligent in their decision especially in a big race!! #75 SPORTMOD said he told the official in the blue shirt and he did nothing. im not trying to bad mouth rather trying to let the officials knoe its ok to reverse a decision based on honesty from a drivers prospective! had fun over all and thank you to the track for the hospitality in the pits!!

AGREED!!! that call took a good competitive car out of the running!

Congrats to Lawrence thou! His car was hooked up!

I do agree with that as well that happened in the first b-main to the number 4 of david mcguire as well. The #7 car admitted to hitting and causing the#4 to spin and the #4 was told to leave the track which he was running 3rd at the time. When talking to the track officals they claim that the #4 was told to leave the track because he spun by himself. [edited out by Nick Holt, 8/31/11]

The #4 car was hit and was spun. The call was missed by track officials. Unfortunately missed calls do happen. It is very easy watching one or two cars but watching 10 cars in a race spread out sometimes isnt as easy! The track rules are like many other track rules. In the heat race if you cause a yellow flag via wreck or single spin you are sent to the pits. This is a common rule at many tracks. However in this case it was not a heat race. It was a last chance qualifier along with the missed hit from #7 that caused #4 to stall. If seen the call would have placed #7 at the rear of the field and #4 back into his position prior to accident. So as we learned from things in race #1, we will learn from race #2. I will be in talks with I37 who is hosting the race #3. Because of time trials instead of heat races they will not be black flagging any driver for a single caution. It will revert to A Main rules which will be if any car causes 2 cautions they are to be black flagged. This is a very common rule at most tracks. As a competitor I know the #4 car took a bad call against him and didnt get a chance to requalify! At this time we again can only be proactive and make some tweeks for our next show. I am also only speaking for the Street Stock Shootout which overall was a tremendous success and largely due to TRP! We did have a total of 37 cars with 35 trying to qualify. This is no easy task and I am sure Texana had some not normal issues thrown at them because of the many many cars and time constrants. We will continue to learn and will consider options that will make each show and series better for all. I hope this assures those effected that we are trying to make this series for everyone and not leaving anyone behind.

As always, great write up Jay. Even though I was attending another race, I could still feel the excitement of the sportmod feature.

Thank you for your dedication and commitment to cover these events and share not only the results, but the play-by-play action.

Hopefully Rhino Rearends can help sponsor your coverage of a few events next year.

Sincerely,

Eddie Tabor

The #4 car was hit and was spun. The call was missed by track officials. Unfortunately missed calls do happen. It is very easy watching one or two cars but watching 10 cars in a race spread out sometimes isnt as easy! The track rules are like many other track rules. In the heat race if you cause a yellow flag via wreck or single spin you are sent to the pits. This is a common rule at many tracks. However in this case it was not a heat race. It was a last chance qualifier along with the missed hit from #7 that caused #4 to stall. If seen the call would have placed #7 at the rear of the field and #4 back into his position prior to accident. So as we learned from things in race #1, we will learn from race #2. I will be in talks with I37 who is hosting the race #3. Because of time trials instead of heat races they will not be black flagging any driver for a single caution. It will revert to A Main rules which will be if any car causes 2 cautions they are to be black flagged. This is a very common rule at most tracks. As a competitor I know the #4 car took a bad call against him and didnt get a chance to requalify! At this time we again can only be proactive and make some tweeks for our next show. I am also only speaking for the Street Stock Shootout which overall was a tremendous success and largely due to TRP! We did have a total of 37 cars with 35 trying to qualify. This is no easy task and I am sure Texana had some not normal issues thrown at them because of the many many cars and time constrants. We will continue to learn and will consider options that will make each show and series better for all. I hope this assures those effected that we are trying to make this series for everyone and not leaving anyone behind.

This is true and I hope all this to be a success not in any way upset with the Street Stock Shootout. Monty and Stephan keep up the good work and thanks for everything you all have done to get this going....

Archived