Cleveland Speedway 1966-1968

Open to mod/supermod racing in 1966. Built and owned by a man named Lakey and promoted by Hal McClain who was a radio DJ at KENR-- KULF . Hal was also a record holding stunt pilot who was later killed trying to reclaim the world record for [ I think ] inside loops.

Cleveland was a classic bullring and filled the stands every Sat. night with great fans, not just spectators. They either loved you or loved to hate you.

The list of drivers as I remember them: Billy Griswold, Buddy Rackley, Elmer Corcoran, Buddy Corcoran, Frank Fawbush,James Starky, Wayne Bittick, Van Cox, Leo Kettle, James Seymore, Finis Harris, Bob Bong, Grady Wright, Tony Wright, Vick Early, Billy Baker, Jimmy Willis, Merle Gallion, Tony Medina, Bill Sanford and [Cowboy ] one of the Longview/Marshal racers who was later fatally injured at Texarkana. Hopefully someone can help me with Cowboy"s last name. Don't remember if Nolan Wren or the Carter boys had arrived yet.

All sorts of things were done for entertainment including match races, Grand Prix starts and Australian pursuit [ you get passed, you drop out ]. Even had a Beetle record burn one night.

The night the stands collapsed: Several of the new drivers developed a heated rivalry with Billy Griswold [ who was the bull of the woods as usual ] In Sept. 1966 the Corcoran car- # 18 [ junkyard supermod ] and the # 9 of Billy Griswold were matched in a match race. On the white flag lap the # 9 turned the # 18 around in the number one turn and the crowd went wild. Billy stopped, backed around the turn and pushed the 18 off to start it, fell back in line and the race resumed. As they came out of the fourth turn towards the flag stand everyone at once jumped to their feet and down came the grand stands. How many were injured I never knew, but there were many, some seriously.

! generally got identified as the driver of the # 18 car, but it was my brother Buddy, home on military leave who was in the car that night.

The track reopened in 1967 and I continued to run there until 1968 when I left for Moody/Clary. I know I have left out some names and if so let me hear from you. Would love to hear from anyone who was there.

post-3-1312062051.jpg

post-3-1312062058.jpg

post-3-1312062064.jpg

post-3-1312062070.jpg

scan0003.pdf

OK guys, you know I gotta ask. I recognize the Billy Griswold #9, but I don't recognize any of these others cars (posted Above) The black#2 looks like Meyer car, but I don't remember seeing it before - of course I wasn't exactly "around" during that time, and I never made it to Cleveland - it was already gone by the time I made it back to Texas - Anyone, any ID on these other cars please?? BTW, my wife a back in the Hospital AGAIN, but the surgery scheduled for Monday AM should finally end all of this - 4 ER visits since the 1st of June!! Looking forward to posting again, and hope to "see" u all soon

Nick, I don't know where you keep finding these old photos, but please keep 'em coming!!

These are from CorcoranSuperMod. He's having a bit of a problem posting them so I am converting them from PDF files to JPG files and resizing for him.

Nick

OK guys, you know I gotta ask. I recognize the Billy Griswold #9, but I don't recognize any of these others cars (posted Above) The black#2 looks like Meyer car, but I don't remember seeing it before - of course I wasn't exactly "around" during that time, and I never made it to Cleveland - it was already gone by the time I made it back to Texas - Anyone, any ID on these other cars please?? BTW, my wife a back in the Hospital AGAIN, but the surgery scheduled for Monday AM should finally end all of this - 4 ER visits since the 1st of June!! Looking forward to posting again, and hope to "see" u all soon

Tommyo, sorry to hear about your wife's problems, hope everything goes well.

From left to right ; Elmer Corcoran # 18 out of Huntsville, # 19 I don't remember, the car on the outside of Billy is the # 1 0f Bob Bong out of Houston, and the number 6 is James Seymore out of the Lufkin area. The black # 2 is a Meyers car, but I don't know who owned or drove it, I have some interesting photos on it's conversion to a supermod. If you were around in the early years of Moody\ Clary you may remember the red & white # 18 Don Edmunds super that I destroyed there in Sep. 69.

Going to do some stuff on M/C and Huntsville Raceway as soon as I get it together.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

That track was built by my Uncle, Wesley Lakey. As a youngster, I spent many hours helping him get ready for the races. He had a great race track until the stands fell. I was there the day after helping to repair them. That was a bad night for all. The track opened briefly after that. But law suits took their toll. Now the site is overgrown with a forest. One would never know that great track was there.

How great the good racing memories are. I can still see Bob Bong and Billy Griswald coming out of turn number 4. Billy is in front. Can you hear them? These guys and others like them, especially Bob, influenced my decision in 1970 as a kid of 17 to cut up a mint 1956 Chevy which I bought for $850.00 and build an exceptionally fast race car. So it was not my fault I took a cutting torch to that poor old car. I raced that car at the old Alameda Speedway in South Houston in 1970 and 1971. What a fun time that was!

Bob

post-14419-1351694873.jpg

post-14419-1351694887.jpg

post-14419-1351694894.jpg

Hello,

That track was built by my Uncle, Wesley Lakey. As a youngster, I spent many hours helping him get ready for the races. He had a great race track until the stands fell. I was there the day after helping to repair them. That was a bad night for all. The track opened briefly after that. But law suits took their toll. Now the site is overgrown with a forest. One would never know that great track was there.

How great the good racing memories are. I can still see Bob Bong and Billy Griswald coming out of turn number 4. Billy is in front. Can you hear them? These guys and others like them, especially Bob, influenced my decision in 1970 as a kid of 17 to cut up a mint 1956 Chevy which I bought for $850.00 and build an exceptionally fast race car. So it was not my fault I took a cutting torch to that poor old car. I raced that car at the old Alameda Speedway in South Houston in 1970 and 1971. What a fun time that was!

Bob

Bob Bong was truly one of the nice guys in the game. Although he was probably twenty years my senior he and his wife were very good friends of ours. I dont know why he is not in the group of mod/supermod drivers I had previously posted. A story of the old Cleveland track ( basically the same as I had posted ) appeared in a book written by an Alabama racewriter a short while ago. If you are interested, since it was in your family, p.m. me and I will give you the info.

Archived