Checker or Wreckers comment

grs51

This is a soft spot that directly affects drivers pocket books. What comments does anyone have on this? Driver/Fans/Car Owners? I realize 'racin hard' draws the $15 - $20 ticket - but whats the bottom line? I like a good race - but it's even better and more important to 'race clean'.

If the talented drivers with low funds get thrown into the wall b/c the guy behind them made some mistakes ... you just lost an entry fee for the next race from that driver that is stuck into the wall & the fans that APPRECIATED that hard core driving and seeing him work his ass off to get to the front. That gets my ticket price ... not the BS crap.

You either have it or you dont.

Well ...maybe it was a between friends or inside joke...but ... I didnt read it like that ... so sorry. But it is a stong comment - make it - especially on this site which is an 'open forum' - be ready for the comebacks. My comments are totally directed toward the "Checker or Wrecker " statement. Not ANYTHING on the drivers/race.

So ..... no cryin/whining here.... take someone out to get the checker if you want and enjoy that half-ass win.

Just MY opinion ... no hard feelings.

51, I agree with what your're saying. I don't think Jason meant anything too serious by the comment, but I paused for a moment when I read it also. We try to get to the front clean, and we've always tried to be that way. Things are going to happen from time to time, but there are some drivers that seem to make it a common practice. Those are the ones that may feed off of a comment like that if taken out of context.

cs

As a car owner, I really get bent about drivers that don't use their heads when it comes to racing. Foolish mistakes cost the track, drivers, car owners and fans money and time. I've had to sit our driver down at times to remind him what it really costs to race. As most everyone knows, we finished 2nd in points in TAMS last year. What everyone may not know is that the body we ran was the same all year long. I'm proud to say that, because it shows you can drive smart (sometimes conservative) stay out of trouble and still do good. We may have been able to finish first if we had taken a 'win at all costs' attitude, but I doubt it. Consistency wins more points championships than any other way. Look at NASCAR. The points champion is rarely the guy with the most wins.

I think spotters could help more also. Maybe there should be a class for spotters. A good spotter can keep a driver out of trouble and also calmed down at times. I've overheard so many spotters carrying on long conversations with their drivers, even while racing. That has got to be confusing. Luckily we had a pro give us instruction on spotting - he said while a driver is racing he only needs to hear 4 things "Inside", "Outside", "Clear" or "Caution" . During the yellow you can carry on all the conversation you want.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying fans don't pay $18 to sit thru yellow laps!!!!!

Well these next statements will probally make more stuff hit the fan than Jason........................

Why do you come to the race track if you dont expect the following.......?

1. A lot of competitors do not come to the track to finish second. Why show up if you don't want to win.....I'm not saying take anyone out, but some drivers will get greedy when they start seeing black and white checkers.....IT IS WHAT EVERYONE COMES TO SEE!!!!

If you car does not allow you to win then you can procede to number 2

2. Once your at the track, if you can't win, then get the best you can--- points race (if you say it like that)

3. Racing is a contact sport! alot of contact happens on a short track. If you don't expect to get hit, try another sport, like golf (be careful watch the chipshots if you don't like contact) Once again I am not promoting taking some one out.

4. contoversy equals ratings, Gongrats to the THR Staff, drivers, and all involved for putting on a good show. Many more people will now go to the next race. I was not at the track on Sat. thinking that the race was going to suck.....I'll will not miss the next one.

I just can't wait for the good old saying "Well do you race? Do you have car?" That is just true ignorace of a race car driver comming out. There are plenty of people that do not have to be a racer to have an opinion about the sport that we enjoy and love.

Point taken WildRacer -

But if your motivated to come to the next race to see someone get thrown into the wall on the last lap b/c the driver behind him WANTS THE CHECKER and could not pass after mant attempts..... stay home and watch "Days of Thunder".

Be a regular race fan and come to all the races ....if you stayed home b/c you THOUGHT THE RACE WOULD SUCK ... then you are not a real race fan.

NO RACE SUCKS .... You are either a supportive fan or not.

ONCE AGAIN - this is directed to comments no particular driver or race.

[i

But if your motivated to come to the next race to see someone get thrown into the wall on the last lap b/c the driver behind him WANTS THE CHECKER and could not pass after mant attempts..... stay home and watch "Days of Thunder".

Be a regular race fan and come to all the races ....if you stayed home b/c you THOUGHT THE RACE WOULD SUCK ... then you are not a real race fan.

NO RACE SUCKS .... You are either a supportive fan or not.  

ONCE AGAIN  - this is directed to comments  no particular driver or race.

I should have been more careful on how I worded my self. "WHAT EVERYONE COMES TO SEE" was in regards to the checkered flag. But I do enjoy a good racing incident, as long as it is one of "those racing deals", and no one gets hurt. I hate it when someone takes another driver out on purpose. I takes away the goodness of the show.

I have Days of thunder on DVD and watch it during the off season. The more I watch it the less I like it because it is so unrealistic.

I AM A REAL RACE FAN!!!! I've spent more late nights, hotter than hell afternoons, below zero nights watching racing. Forgive me If THR has not be able to produce a decent ROMCO show VRS. the cost to get in over the last couple of years. FINALLY it seems that the track management at THR is trying to make the place better for side by side competition as well as more fan friendly.

I've been to plenty of races that have sucked!!! All over the country.

I would consider myself a supportive fan. I buy tickets, I buy consessions, I buy hats, Shirts, toys, coffee cups, and just about damn near anything else that you cant think of, with drivers names on it, both high ranking NASCAR Gods as well as my local heros. Not to mention trying to get everyone that I know, and complete strangers, to come out a watch racing. Just because I miss a race or two does not make me less of a supportive fan.

grs51,

A race fan is a race fan in my book. I love them all. If it weren't for race fans, we'd all be racing on the streets and in parking lots. If a person shows up at a track to watch the races, then that person is a real race fan. Period. It is our job as racers to put on such a good show that fans want to come back for more. Yes, there are "die hard" fans out there who will attend every race no matter what. But just because a fan admits that they don't attend every time the grandstands are open does not lessen that fan's importance to the sport.

This whole "pecking order" stuff is really kind of silly anyway. Race fans have just as valid an opinion as anyone else. In fact, the racing community had best be listening to what race fans have to say if we plan on staying in business.

Nick Holt

Thanks Nick - you are right. A race fan is the best fan around. Full of opinions and outspoken!!

I retrack saying Wildracer isnt a fan b/c he decided to stay home b/c 'he thought the race would suck'. "Sorry Wildreacer"

A one groove track makes it harder to get where you should be so I guess I understand what you meant- but it's all fun - talking here, sitting in the stands, in the pits and even going at it on this site!!

Race on!!

Kudos to every post above. This is how these argu---, excuse me DEBATES should play out. State your case, respectfully disagree, admit when you're wrong, keep away from the personal attacks, and remember at the end of the day we are all race fans, whether we race or not.

This whole "pecking order" stuff is really kind of silly anyway. Race fans have just as valid an opinion as anyone else. In fact, the racing community had best be listening to what race fans have to say if we plan on staying in business.

apology accepted.

I think that what we all forget is the we love racing. As always we will agree to disagree on everything - from who caused a caution, who's cheating, who's driving dirty, to even why there are stickers in the THR urinals, the points is why all still love it. Wether your a driver, an owner, on a crew, or just watch, we all have a say, and we all need to be involved in what happens. Especialy at the diehard local level. NASCAR, ISC, SMI, and the main stream media does not care about the local level of racing in the sport. (IMO) NASCAR would not even think about SAS if they did not renew thier Sanction and stopped paying, b/c another truck would just be there wanting to fill the void. We all must stick together if we plan to survive.

Archived