THR Late Models

NickHolt

:rolleyes: curious question. However, #28 car blew his motor in practice on Thursday. McClemore was there, however, he was having problems too. #77 is having engine problems. Maybe the late models are enjoying the TSRS series??? Who really knows. I know I was VERY disappointed for my $93.00 worth (not including food). Maybe I am expecting too much from THR, however, that is what inspires excellence instead of complacency. :ph34r:

I don't think the track is to blame at all. I expressed concern about this very topic months ago with the announcement of the TSRS forming. I think the TSRS has had a great start with car counts and good shows, but last night was proof of its impact on the THR late model class. I applaud the guys who showed up last night and chose to risk their cars knowing the impact it could have on their TSRS running. McLemore was a good example - his car was banged up pretty bad, and he's definately a front runner in the TSRS. I know he'll get it back in shape quickly, but most of those guys are obviously playing it safe on their off nights. Hopefully the ASA race kept the Houston cars at home, but I guess next week will tell that tale.

Chase

<_<

it's simple, really it is. It's all about economics and cost. First why would you want to race for $500 to win, when you can spend almost the same amount of money to win $1000. YOu have to buy tires if you want to be competitive with TSRS but you run 65-100 laps per race so they are gone. If you leave those tires on at a weekly THR show you will get blown away buy someone with newer tires that only races weekly. The LM car count last year was not very good on most nights. for example take the 7 from opening night add in a couple of Houston cars lets say 4 (04, 50, 13, 17) and then the 2 New cars (1 & 3) and you get 13. That about what you had running last year. I heard the rumor that Bobby New was just frusterated with the management over bad calls that were made against him and Ronny. I hope that the low car count is not a trend that keeps happening this year in LM. My solution to the problem is to drop the LM class. Move the streets up and let them put the LM bodies on if the want to. Combine the hobby and pure stocks (they are alomst the same anyway) and add a real bomber class with the 108 wheel base. but make the decision in the middle of the season so that people can build new cars for the next season. Everyone saw how it hurt SAS to anounce a new class so late.

If you move street up as the main class and let them put new bodies on them that basically throws out the fun and affordable part of that class. You would have to make it mandatory to put bodies on cause I really wouldnt wanna watch a class that is a mixtures of old novas and new monte carlos. just my 2 cents. -Colt

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE REST OF THE LATE MODELS WE WERE PLANNING ON RUNNING THR AS WELL AS TSRS BUT BROKE THE CRANK IN HOUSTON.WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF PUTTING ANOTHER MOTOR TOGETHER.WITH NO SPONSOR MONEY AND EVERYTHING OUT OF POCKET EVERYONE KNOWS HOW MUCH $$$ IT TAKES.GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THIS NEXT WEEKEND.

Guest Mary Ann Naumann

Hello Nick, this is a great website! I would like to address your resent question (Wondering why only 7 late models at THR on Saturday...) and ss99, statement (I expressed concern about this very topic months ago with the announcement of the TSRS forming. I think the TSRS has had a great start with car counts and good shows, but last night was proof of its impact on the THR late model class)

First off, please let me start off by saying... TSRS was not created to do harm to THR, my heart will always be with THR, I gave nearly 3 years of my life working to make this wonderful facility a fun, family, driver friendly racetrack. I loved every moment I devoted to it. Why would I want to see it not do well? Without THR, SAS or HMS, there would not be a TSRS, we as a touring series, must have tracks to run at. These are three of the finest in Central Texas. When this series came to mind, it was with the encouragement from a group of SA drivers that were losing their class of cars to run. I respect Mike (SAS) for making a good business decision for his track. What I had hoped for, was that by keeping the TSRS rules and the THR LLM the same, maybe THR would pick up some additional drivers! That is why Jack Sandefur (THR), Bob Bolin (TSRS) and myself, worked so hard to accomplish this, along with, I thought, Brian's blessing. I personally went to Brian before this series was started. Brian and I have always had a good working relationship. I do think with the negativity that unfortunately always goes with racing, you know the politics, this has made this a little less exciting for him, which is so unfortunate. I still think this can be a great thing for THR and I encourage any registered TSRS driver that wants to run more than the 12 races that we have scheduled, to do so, I know there is not one of our registered TSRS drivers that could say, I have said anything differently to this fact. I do think that with the economy, family obligations, drivers find running a series makes things a little easier, but then there are those that want to race every weekend, if that is the case, TSRS & THR can accommodate both worlds. Now, I will say and I say over and over again, my staff was hand selected, I promote being a driver friendly series and I feel that our drivers are the "heroes." Without the drivers, there would be no fans and with no fans, no money to keep the tracks open & no tracks open, no TSRS! I am very proud of our show, and yes we are in the "show business" and what an outstanding group of 51 registered drivers we have and a staff to go with them. Our goal is to put on the most professionally show that we can for the fans and when it is time to roll into Kyle, San Antonio & Houston, the fans get their monies worth and then some. We hope to bring new race fans to each track along with new drivers, we have drivers from Wichita Falls, San Angelo, and other surrounding cities, drivers that have never raced at any of these three tracks. This can be a WIN, WIN situation, touring series is the new era of racing and there are some outstanding touring series out there!

Again Nick, great website, thanks to Texas Speedzone for letting each of us share our thoughts on local racing.

Mary Ann,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Your enthusiasm for the sport is well-known and I'm sure your intentions were exactly as you say. But it would be interesting to hear Brian's perspective in light of the short field of Late Models last Saturday at Thunder Hill Raceway.

As I recall, back when the TSRS series was just forming there was quite a bit of discussion here at Texas Speed Zone about the possible effect the formation of the TSRS might have on the LM car count at Thunder Hill. Several of our members were quite concerned that THR would take a major hit. It's still very early in the racing season, so it remains to be seen what the ultimate effect on the THR LM car count will be.

Thanks for the nice words about TexasSpeedZone, Mary Ann. Jason has put a lot of effort into making this the kind of place where Texas racers and Texas race fans can come to discuss racing in a well-moderated environment.

Nick Holt

Hello Mary Ann,

I enjoyed reading your comments about the TSRS series and THR. I want to make sure you and the TSRS officials and drivers know that I don't hold any ill will against the series. I'm at a point now where I look forward to the series coming to THR. The car counts have been great, and the shows have been enjoyable. Like I mentioned before, since I'm limited to racing at THR, I still have concerns about the TSRS impact on the Late Model class. It's obvious that you and the THR officials took steps to minimize negative impact on the THR class, but I'm just thinking that those impacts are occuring despite those efforts.

I'm hoping that last week will not be an indication of the remainder of the year, and that more TSRS cars will be at THR in the coming weeks.

Happy Easter to everyone.

Chase

Everyone's points are well taken, but let's also not forget that THR had to compete with the ASA race in Houston last weekend and that this weekend is Easter. Brian not only lost crowd to Houston, but probably car count as well.

Still, I can't see any way that Mary Ann's series can do anything but split the car counts. Late in the season, those doing well in the Satellite Country USA series at THR will likely concentrate their efforts there, while those up in points in Mary Ann's series will concentrate on that. Too, some may decide that the time and expense of a traveling series is more than they expected. We'll just have to wait and see.

Archived