Question for the Houston Race Historians

Buckeem

In my limited quick searches and knowledge. Is it factual to say that David Starr is the first Houston driver to make his way to Nascar’s top class and race at Charlotte 600 (World/Coke) since Billy Wade and AJ Foyt (Adding: HB Baily, Walter Ballard)?

I think Jerry Schild ran a couple of cup races in the 70's .If you count the Nascar /Arca race at TWS, Greg Davidson ran in it.

I see where Jerry ran 5 NASCAR Events in ‘74. 2 at Talladega, 1 each at Darlington and Rockingham and although he ran at Charlotte, it was only the 400 race.

Incidentally, that was the Firecracker 400 race shortened by 10% to 334 Miles due to the Oil Crisis of ’73. Unfortunately, Mr. Schild only finished 48 laps due to what is listed as “Handling”.

So that will keep him off of the 600 list, unless my research is wrong.

BTW: Thanks to ALL of the Schild Family for what you have done for “Racing in Houston” and the surrounding region.

Buckeem,

Don't believe Jerry Schild in the Rush Johnson #07 Monte Carlo made the '74 Firecracker 400, but possibly had some handling issue in the Charlotte Motor Speedway fall event. Several, if not all, NASCAR GN/Cup races in '74 were shortened because of the so called crude oil shortage. As for other drivers, don't forget about Walter Ballard, who was also a NASCAR Rookie Of The Year. And, Tony Bettenhausen II possibly competed in the World 600, having competed in several NASCAR events before driving open wheel/Indianapolis Cars. He was attending Cy-Fair High School near Houston when he began racing at Meyer Speedway in the Late Model Sportsman series.

Buckeem,

As for other drivers, don't forget about Walter Ballard, who was also a NASCAR Rookie Of The Year.

I counted 6 different appearances at the 600. His first in '71 and the last on in '76

Walter Ballard (born January 12, 1933) is a former NASCAR Winston Cup driver from Houston, TX. He made a single Grand National start in 1966 and didn't return to the series until 1971 when he ran a nearly full season in a car owned by his father Vic capturing 11 top tens on his way to Rookie of the Year honors and a tenth place finish in points. The next season was even better, capturing 7 top tens to a 6th place finish in points. He continued full-time with the team until 1975. He then participated part time in the 1976 and 1977 seasons and then retired from NASCAR. His best Cup finish was a 3rd at Meyer Speedway in Houston in 1971.

Buckeem,

And, Tony Bettenhausen II possibly competed in the World 600, having competed in several NASCAR events before driving open wheel/Indianapolis Cars. He was attending Cy-Fair High School near Houston when he began racing at Meyer Speedway in the Late Model Sportsman series.

TB Jr, did make one start. He finished 21st in the '74 World 600.

• 11 months later...
Buckeem,

And, Tony Bettenhausen II possibly competed in the World 600, having competed in several NASCAR events before driving open wheel/Indianapolis Cars. He was attending Cy-Fair High School near Houston when he began racing at Meyer Speedway in the Late Model Sportsman series.

TB Jr, did make one start. He finished 21st in the '74 World 600.

Here's a trivia question for everybody, but especially us old farts;

What Texas Driver(s) have raced in bothe the Dayton 500 and the Indy 500? I thought I knew the answer at first but then the more I thought, the more I wondered....

Real quick, you can add Chet Fillip to that list that includes Foyt and Rutherford.

Chet ran the 87 daytona with Marshall Batteries as the sponsor, and his brother Corey as the owner. The car was a former Tom Mitchell car, who sponsored Chet on about half the 86 season before pulling out of big league racing. He went on to Sponsor San Antonio's John Kelly in TIDA and All-Pro racing. Mitchell is Circle Bar Corral in Ozona.

Chet also ran the Indy 500 in 1981, 82, and 83 for Mitchell.

Real quick, you can add Chet Fillip to that list that includes Foyt and Rutherford.

Chet ran the 87 daytona with Marshall Batteries as the sponsor, and his brother Corey as the owner. The car was a former Tom Mitchell car, who sponsored Chet on about half the 86 season before pulling out of big league racing. He went on to Sponsor San Antonio's John Kelly in TIDA and All-Pro racing. Mitchell is Circle Bar Corral in Ozona.

Chet also ran the Indy 500 in 1981, 82, and 83 for Mitchell.

Yes, hes the non-obvious one... I later wondered if Ruby or Mcelreath ever raced at Dayton???? hmmmm

elliott,

You win points for mentioning McElreath. He finished 25th in the 1964 Daytona 500 in a Bill Stroppe Mercury. He also ran several Indy 500's.

Lloyd Ruby only ran one nascar race, in 1967 at Riverside in a Junior Johnson car.

Archived