Dinsmore, Torres Both Lose in Last Races Until June 4

Dinsmore and Torres Both Lose in Last Race Until June

Pleasanton – Greg Dinsmore finally lost an IMCA race at I-37 Raceway at Newsome Motor Park on Saturday night, May 14 as the track prepared to skip the next two dates and not race until after the Memorial Day Weekend, meaning it was the last chance for someone to stop either Dinsmore or Johnny Torres from extending their winning streaks.

Dinsmore got off to a bad start that didn't get better until he topped the field in the Street Stock race later in the program. In the meantime, he made his usual charge through the field in the IMCA Modified feature and took the lead at about the halfway point but then was involved in an accident that left him with a very damaged race car and the rest of the drivers to fight for the lead, which went to Jamie Campbell with "Backhoe Joe" Spillman second in his first race at I-37 this year.

Lakehills driver Torres was the target of a number of teams looking to stop his win streak in the IMCA Southern Sports Mod feature, with the Rye brothers from down Corpus way and Kerrville's own Moe VanKirk leading the charge. The Sport Mods turned out to be one of a couple of classes that ran from flag to flag with one or no caution flags.on the night, running hard and belly to the ground while racing as clean as you can do it on a dirt track.

VanKirk led all the way while Torres was beset and belabored by not only Kris and "Flyin' Brian" Rye but by Michael Hernandez, who, like VanKirk, has been on Torres' back the whole first part of the season. At the end, Torres perhaps got a moral victory, finishing third behind Kris Rye and just ahead of Hernandez and Brian Rye. It's likely the fans are looking forward to the next race for the IMCA sports mods on June 4.

Trey Votion has dominated the Limited Late Model class at I-37 Raceway this year, but he hasn't had any easy wins. Craig Crawley and Matt Hodge, among others, have been keeping him honest and they did it again Saturday night. Crawley hasn't won a feature since he returned to the track this season, but he has a couple of heat race wins, including one this week. Last year's Limited Late champ, Pleasanton's own Richard Bartosh, has also been in the mix this year and finished third this week behind Crawley and ahead of the other heat race winner, Gary "Taz" Hunter.

Hodge, who has been in the mix every race this season, got tangled up this week and ended up charging from the back not once but twice, only to be caught by too many cautions and finish seventh. On the other hand, he got to do more racing than just about anybody.

Dinsmore drove the newly-built # 93 car in the Street Stock race, in which he and fellow heat race winner A. J. Dancer put on a clinic for how to race fast, hard and clean, once going side by side and staying that way for several laps without once touching each other. Pretty impressive, as was Dinsmore's eventual win as he and Dancer finished ahead of last week's first time winner, Stephan Danielson and usual Street stock front runner Mike Lyon. Behind Lyon was a pretty good batch of fast cars, including Tommy Casey and Dennis Hilla.

The Pure Stocks were, as usual, one of the highlights of the night as a 15-car field took to the track, For the "Pures," that was kind of a light field and Frank Okruhlik ended up with another win after a pretty good battle with the brother-sister team of Jarrett Payton and Brandy Ramzinski, who eventually finished second and third. Janel Hilla won her sixth heat race in a row, but then got banged around a bit in the feature. She eventually was closing on the top six when she ran out of laps, ending up eighth ahead of Patricia Lucas.

Thirteen Front Runners took the green flag in the feature with Cody Earnhardt making a strong run to the win. Cameron Smith and Trevor Bettis finished second and third, with Hailee Marcx having a trerrific drive after spinning out and going to the rear twice. At every green flag restart, she just put her foot down and went, ending up fourth ahead of Jordan Mayberry.

I-37 Raceway will not race again until June 4, shutting down next week and then again on May 28 in observance of the Memorial Day weekend. The track is within easy (and inexpensive) driving distance of Pleasanton, Atascosa County and South San Antonio. The gates at I-37 Raceway open at 5:00 pm and racing starts at 7:00, usually ending before 11:00 pm. There is almost always a breeze blowing from behind the grandstand even on warm nights.

-30-

T. Q. Jones, Media Director, P. O. Box 341706, Austin, TX 78734

PH: (512) 261-5236 Email: tqjones13@earthlink.net

Not being bias but Cody Earnhardt did a helluve a job starting from the rear of the pack came all the way to the front to win it, and taking a cheap shot from a lapped car that put him sideways but drove out of it clean.

The above press release was written and posted by a representative of I-37 Raceway. If anyone has issues with the story they should take those issues up with TQ or with the track.

I have hidden four posts in this thread that expressed various levels of dissatisfaction with the release and I am closing this thread before this gets out of hand.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nick

Archived