North Houston Speedway

RETrott

As I remember it, North Houston Speedway was a 1/4 mile paved oval located on the northwest corner of the Lee Rd and Greens Rd intersection that held events during the mid '50s. There was at least one Stock Car exhibition event in early '63 featuring several contestants that got together for a pre-season show for the recently introduced street stock type of cars at Meyer Speedway that became known as the Houston Bronco Stock Cars. After construction of Intercontinental Airport-Houston in the late '60s, the property became part of the airport at the southeast corner of IAH, but still vacant with somewhat visable remnants. Fortunately, there is some video from filmed events of Supermodified action from the '50s period. Among the contestants are AJ Foyt Jr, Billy Wade, and Buddy Rackley, legends to say the least. They are easily recognizable for race fans of the era, and likely competing against Norman Pierce, MJ Burton, Don Burton, Cecil Elliot, and Billy Griswold, all legendary as well. I'm not trying to leave anyone out, but going by memory of cars and drivers I recall from that time frame. I'm thinking that Roy Houston was the promoter during the '50s, but once again, I'm going by limited memory. Just a little history, and hopefully some additional information will be forthcoming. :unsure:

Archived