94 Ford 7.3 turbo diesal

Hansen99

94 7.3 turbo diesal 300,012 ,miles about 2 months ago the truck started acting like it was running out of fuel I pushed the shraderer valve looking thing I guess you hook a gauge up too no pressure so I changed the fuel pump (mecanical on top of the motor) it ran excellent for 2 months put quite a few miles on her and now its acting the same way I figured Autozone fuel pump so I took it out swapped for another one while doing so replaced return lines new hoses where I saw any wear but problem remains wont do it Idiling in the drive way but get about a mile from the house and it acts like it runs out of fuel sit on the side of road about 20 minutes and it will fire and run another half mile or so and die figured there might be somthing in fuel tank it has duel tanks so I would switch tanks no help I bought the truck about 2 years ago from a buddy who took good care of it I asked him about injecter pump he said it about 5 years old it expensive and I dont want to start just buying stuff to try I decent around wrenches but know nothing of diesals any suggestions or would be appreciated Thankyou in advance

yes Sir Mr X had it put on a lap top and no codes ran check on the injecters everything OK Mr Bishop checked for water I took the Filter housing off to change out some hoses that didnt look so good I really apreciate the feed back keep the ideas coming fellas THANKYOU

yes Sir Mr X had it put on a lap top and no codes ran check on the injecters everything OK Mr Bishop checked for water I took the Filter housing off to change out some hoses that didnt look so good I really apreciate the feed back keep the ideas coming fellas THANKYOU

irp is on the high pressure pump it will cause this issue there is a sensor on fuel pressure reg on side of fuel filter housing fuel drips on wires causes issues with wiring to ipr and can knock out idm if you pull filter housing the wires are under it

Early 94 - turbo IDI, 94.5 and up - Powerstroke. You mentioned fuel pump on top of the engine that means Powerstroke. Check for restriction in tank selector valve, had a friend find that one after a lot of checking. Finally put a vacuum gauge at the inlet to the fuel pump and found he was pulling a vacuum when running. Eventually this cavitates the pump and you get air at the injectors. If it only happens at low fuel level, check fuel pickup in the tank, there is a rubber funnel looking thing that goes from the inlet tube to the bottom of the tank. They get hard and fall apart so it starts picking up air at about 1/4 tank.

• 2 months later...

93 racer thankyou for replying I dont know for sure but that sounds right I put 160 lbs of air through the fuel line from the pump in both tanks that sounds like what it was cause after I cycle purged some air back to the tanks it hasnt done it since whatb exactly did you find that mesh on the pick up stopped up or fallin g apart ? ? ?

Hansen, mine had completely fallen apart into pieces. It originally is kinda hard rubber i believe and its about 1.5 inch diameter with a screen on bottom side. mine fell apart leaving the pick up tube with no screen and the rubber chunks were big enough to get on tube and plug it up. I got a new one at Ford dealership i think at that time they were about $10.

Archived