Texan David Starr gets 1st NASCAR Cup ride at TMS

David Starr to compete in TMS Samsung Mobile 500 with Texas-based Leavine Fenton Racing entry

From TMS Media Relations

Ft Worth, Texas (April 6, 2011) - This weekend’s Samsung Mobile 500 at Texas Motor Speedway is historic for more reasons than one for the newly formed NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team, Leavine Fenton Racing. The organization, which is based out of Tyler, Texas, will attempt to qualify for its first Sprint Cup Series race at its hometown track with Texas native David Starr behind the wheel.

post-3-1302111968.jpg

Bob Leavine, David Starr, Lance Fenton. NASCAR PR Photo

Team owners Bob Leavine and Lance Fenton, both from Tyler, have worked over the course of the year to help build and develop the organization. The two have worked tirelessly to compete in NASCAR’s top series.

“When we sat down and looked at our goals and what we wanted to do, the very first thing on my list was to have fun,” Leavine said. “Obviously, if you are involved in NASCAR and are not having fun you need to go do something else because it is an adrenaline rush. I wanted to be able to look at the Sprint Cup Series and say we did that.”

After a 14-year career in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, Starr will attempt to make the field for his first career Sprint Cup Series start. After years of chasing his dream, he is excited for the chance to make his Sprint Cup debut in front of a hometown crowd.

“To have that opportunity to compete at that level with the 43 best drivers in the world is a dream come true for me and I’ll take advantage of it,” said Starr, a Houston native who now resides in Flower Mound. “You’ve worked so hard for it. I can’t describe it in words how cool and what it means to me. We are going to fight and do the best we can.”