ProTruck Tranny Leak

CC57

Turbo 350 equipped truck is leaking tranny fluid.

Looking for suggestions please.

If y’all saw the little fire in the 05 Truck during the 03/26 HMP race, was (is) a tranny leak

Everything was fine until I intentionally spun to miss the 03 and another truck (don’t recall the number) truck between 1 & 2. Took off and then smoke started filling the cab, looked down and … it’s marshmallow toasting time.

Anyway, I haven't crawled extensively around under the truck yet, but based on the puddle under it on the trailer this morning, it appears to be around the torque convertor end.

Do y’all have any suggestions as to what to put my attention on?

Like I said, I believe all was fine until I intentionally spun the truck.

Thanks all

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. The tranny was overfilled and purged fluid out of the small vent opening at the top of the tranny.

2. Something in the tranny is going South and causing excessive heat - fluid is purging because of the heat.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. The tranny was overfilled and purged fluid out of the small vent opening at the top of the tranny.

2. Something in the tranny is going South and causing excessive heat - fluid is purging because of the heat.

Thanks Chase.

I don't think it's #1. I haven't added any fluid to the tranny since I purchased the truck (David L's #3).

And probably not #2 either. Took me about 2 to 2.5 hours from ending the race to getting home the track last night (this AM?). Took a quikc peak under the truck and there was very little fluid under the tranny on the tralor.

When I took a look this mornign (around 9:30), quit a bit of fluid under the tranny, down the center f the trailer, and on the ground pooled up. Wouldn't that rule out #2?

Keep those suggestios coming.

I'll be back undere the truck tomorrow, taking a look. I imagine the tranny and torque covertor are coming out this week for a thorough look over...

I agree with chase - the 350 pukes all over when its overheated - butwould also add - then also comes warpage of the valve body... and in severe cases even the housing itself - but can also distort the pan pretty bad.

Thanks Chase.

I don't think it's #1. I haven't added any fluid to the tranny since I purchased the truck (David L's #3).

And probably not #2 either. Took me about 2 to 2.5 hours from ending the race to getting home the track last night (this AM?). Took a quikc peak under the truck and there was very little fluid under the tranny on the tralor.

When I took a look this mornign (around 9:30), quit a bit of fluid under the tranny, down the center f the trailer, and on the ground pooled up. Wouldn't that rule out #2?

Keep those suggestios coming.

I'll be back undere the truck tomorrow, taking a look. I imagine the tranny and torque covertor are coming out this week for a thorough look over...

You have a point. If it's leaking while cold, I would suspect a bad pan gasket or warped pan like Mr. Bishop mentioned. Did you make sure the dipstick tube hasn't come out of the case at the base?

I have a purestock and it did the same thing this weekend. Fluid everywhere on top and kept shifting out of first. Checked fluids and looked fine. Ran the main for about a 3 laps and lost all forward drive. It was just rebuilt a year ago, but first time on the track. Not the way I wanted to start.

I have a purestock and it did the same thing this weekend. Fluid everywhere on top and kept shifting out of first. Checked fluids and looked fine. Ran the main for about a 3 laps and lost all forward drive. It was just rebuilt a year ago, but first time on the track. Not the way I wanted to start.

Possibly the detent or linkage out of adjustment? overpressuring from trying to run "between gears".

You have a point. If it's leaking while cold, I would suspect a bad pan gasket or warped pan like Mr. Bishop mentioned. Did you make sure the dipstick tube hasn't come out of the case at the base?

Ok, the area underneath the tranny was dry this morning.

Dipstick securely in place.

Took a look around, all seemed ok. No parts - that I could tell - missing. (Except what plug's the hole about the size of a nickel on the driver's side of the tail cone? See attached picture). Housing isn't cracked.

Ended up putting 2.5 to 3 quarts of fluid back in the tranny to bring it up to level. Ran her - idling- for about 15 minutes. Still no leaks.

Tomorrow, will start her up, put her in gear, and let her run for a few minutes. See if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

post-3-1301362779.jpg

I think what you need is a 7/8 freeze plug to drive in there and block that. I think thats the right size.

Thanks poorboy, I'll meaure and see.

But no fluid should come out of there, it's sealed in front of there - or should be- correct?

Fluid will come out there.

2 or 3 quarts worth could?

Sorry, don't want to come across as questioning your knowledge, or as sceptical. I don't know trannys, so that's why I ask.

And what would normally attach to the point of the tranny, would go in that hole?

Thanks

Speedo

Oh that image :rolleyes:

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the reply.

So that is not sealed where the tailcone bolts to the main housing?

And honestly, I thought, there must be fluid running to the area, otherwise, why would there be a seal around where the tailshaft exits the tail cone (other than a dirt seal)?

Well when you look through that hole you see the output shaft that your drive shaft slides on , If you remove your drive shaft and tilt the transmission how much fluid can come out? A lot. If the tail shaft seal is bad, how much fluid will come out? A lot. I would think 2-3 quarts could come out. Maybe it was plugged but fell out when you spun.

Man, I hope this is all it turn out to be. That would be an easy fix.

Any reason why I should not just expoy a freeze plug in place? So it doesn't happen again? (Previous owner said they had experienced problem with a leak at the speedo plug.)

Absolutely the tail shaft and speedo set are wet. The fluid is needed for lubrication. If I recall a 33/64 brass plug will fit nicely. Use a deep plug and leave about an 1/8 - 1/4 out - bead silicone around that edge.

Of course so would the drive set that fell out.

I would not reco epoxy - you can strip the speedo gear carrier (any tranny shop has em laying around - I can send you one even - my neighbor at the shop is a trans shop) down to just the housing and shaft - that way the rubber o rings are there and will be much happier with expansion contraction and vibration that occurs there - which could crack the epoxy down the road and give ya a leak that is then harder to fix.

Absolutely the tail shaft and speedo set are wet. The fluid is needed for lubrication. If I recall a 33/64 brass plug will fit nicely. Use a deep plug and leave about an 1/8 - 1/4 out - bead silicone around that edge.

Of course so would the drive set that fell out.

I would not reco epoxy - you can strip the speedo gear carrier (any tranny shop has em laying around - I can send you one even - my neighbor at the shop is a trans shop) down to just the housing and shaft - that way the rubber o rings are there and will be much happier with expansion contraction and vibration that occurs there - which could crack the epoxy down the road and give ya a leak that is then harder to fix.

I sincerely appreciate the parts offer, but I have a spare tranny I can borrow from if necessary.

After sleeping on it, I too decided against the epoxy. Figured I would just silicone it in place. Glad to see your note re-inforcing my thought.

All in all, this is working out better than me having to pull the tranny and install the spare... :)

Archived