THR practice report, 6/17/04

NickHolt

There were eight or nine TAMS teams practicing at THR yesterday. TAMS Director Wayne Norrell was there helping me check the dB levels. Wayne has his own dB meter and we learned that the meters produce identical dB readings when held side by side.

We had a chance to dB cars both on the front and back straights and found that occasionally there was a 1 bD difference between the locations and that at other times the readings were identical.

Hats off to the several of the TAMS teams for really doing an outstanding job on their muffler systems. Five of the eight teams were well below the 96 dB limit, one was right at 96 and a couple of teams have some more work to do before Saturday.

Richard Norman's THR LM #40 achieved readings in the 88-90 range all during practice. Outstanding job Richard. I'm sure that Richard, known around THR as a racer's racer, would be willing to share his technology with other teams.

Defending ARTS 2003 Champion Robert Walton had his #10 truck back together after blowing an engine two weeks ago at THR. He was reading in the 94 dB range.

As mentioned in another thread, Shawn Paul Lehman was practicing his #5 Street Stock and looked good. He said he was a bit rusty, but he was clicking off laps in the high 16's. They have a bit of tweaking to do on their muffler system since the readings were in the 95-97 range.

The only TPS car that showed up was the #34 Mustang driven by Shane Hill. Unfortunately, Shane was having engine problems and only got to run a couple of slow laps.

The #48 ROMCO SLM showed up (not sure who the driver is) and looked pretty decent turning laps in the mid-upper 15s with dB readings at 96-97 dB. Unfortunately, the car lost a RF wheel late in the day and made lots of sparks before coming to a stop on the front straight.

We enjoyed a brief shower about half-way through the practice which cooled things down just enough for the mosquitoes to invade.

Nick Holt

supertx,

have you ever gone out to 35 and had a DB check? Also do you have a filter on your meter?

No, I have never gone out to IH35 and performed a dB check. Why would I want to?

No we do not use filters on the dB meters. But we do you wind socks on both meters to remove the noise caused by wind.

Nick Holt

Thats a great point!!! They are just as close to 35 as the racetrack. Be a good neighbor and tell them to move away from the highway. LOL j/k but still a nice point to be made.

Archived