tires (tow vehicle)

dy97

i was curious if any one else has ever had this problem.. i have a 96 2500 cummins and i was running michelen ltx just straight street tires.. truck drove great.. but living in the country i needed some good mts so i put some firestone destination mts on the back only .. they are stock size on stock wheels 265 75 17.. anyway since day one of putting them on the back of the truck has been all over the road.. always feels like im pulling an overloaded trailer.. so it drives really terrible even with an empty trailer.. it like catches every single imperfection in the road and throws the rear of the truck all over the place.. im always stripe to stripe now.. i was told that some tires have a break in period where this will happen but should go away after a week or two.. its been about a month.. and a couple thousand miles and they havent gotten much better.. i thought this would only happen when you ran radials and bias ply on the same vehicle.. do yall think its just because im running mts on the rear and regular street tires on the front? the mts are load range Es and they were 550 bux for two.. ive ran the destinations before and never had any issues.. what do yall think ? i hate to put mts on the front of a 2 wheel drive diesel.. they will just get ruined.. thanks for any input

daniel

Can't help you but I can relate. Had an F-250 4 wheel drive diesel about 6 - 7 years ago. Can't remember the tire brand but put new ones on, same size as stock, all the way around. The thing drove just like you described. I don't know if the tires broke in or if I just developed the feel for keeping that thing straight.

The more aggresive the tread - the less rubber is actually in contact with the asphalt. This means that even loaded the tire slips more. Add to that the stiffer sidewall and firmer footprint. Thats a drastic change that you will feel. Stick some super swampers on and see what happens!

I did a Google search this morning and the Firestone Destination MTs tires tend to get negative reviews in a few of the sites that I visited.

While I have no knowledge of this particular tire, I do know that tread design, sidewall stiffness and the "slip angle" of tires interact with each other in important ways and, from what you are describing, it sounds like the they are interacting in a negative way in this case.

Nick

I did a Google search this morning and the Firestone Destination MTs tires tend to get negative reviews in a few of the sites that I visited.

While I have no knowledge of this particular tire, I do know that tread design, sidewall stiffness and the "slip angle" of tires interact with each other in important ways and, from what you are describing, it sounds like the they are interacting in a negative way in this case.

Nick

extremely negative.. and the side wall stiffness is definitely different because some times i feel like im on the dirt track when it walks around the rear side walls feel extremely more sloppy than the front.. both front and rears are load range Es so i assumed it would be the same.. boy was i wrong i had some one honk at me the other day because it got over the right side line and that little bump jerked the back of the truck around and turned me rather sideways... they probably had to clean out there pants after i was facing them.. funny part is the tires never slipped .. it was all sidewall.. you would think the side wall would be all rolled under but if you jerk the wheel while looking in the mirror you cant see the sidewall move at all.. (dont worry i didnt do this with traffic coming at me).. it is very frustrating though because my front tires are still rather new and the backs were so expensive i cant force myself to take them off.. i guess i will just have to deal with it.. what i find even more interesting i guess is that i have a lifted z71 with 33 12.50s and it drives better than my truck with stock tires.. and is less sloppy

If you got them from Discount.....They will take them back and change them for a different brand..Several guys at work and myself are running the 10ply Hankook AT's they seem to be holding up well.

firestone on rio grande is where i got em

• 3 weeks later...

Archived