Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway

Just read on Jayski's Silly Season website that the city council of Nashville, TN voted NOT to demolish the Fairgrounds Speedway. No word yet if there will be racing there this season but there are people who do want to promote the track but want a 5 year lease agreement. The Fair Board will make the determination if any potential promoters want a lease so its not definite yet there will even be racing there again. I heard that the fair board has several members who are in the Mayors camp who wants the track demolished. At the meeting where it was voted to keep the fairgrounds open, several hundred race fans showed up to voice their opinion and it was either 7 or 9 people who showed up to tear it down. Sterling Marlin and Daryl Waltrip have indicated an interest to obtain a lease on the track and said they would upgrade the facility to bring it up to speed to attract top competitors and make it fan friendly.

A Tennessee News Story.

CityPropertiesBill to spare fairgrounds racetrack for now clears final council vote

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 at 9:20pm

By Joey Garrison

A bill that at least momentarily preserves the Fairgrounds Speedway awaits the signature of Mayor Karl Dean, as the Metro Council Tuesday night took its final vote to call for a new master plan to dictate the future of the hotly debated fairgrounds property.

The legislation, which the council cleared on the final of three votes Tuesday, also keeps the Tennessee State Fair at the Nolensville Pike property through 2012, and retains the property’s expo center until a new location is found.

Two weeks ago, the council drastically altered the legislation from a bill that would have demolished the racetrack to one that preserves the racetrack until the creation of the master plan concludes. The master plan, to be piloted by the fair board, Metro Planning Department and Metro Parks and Recreation Department, would seemingly call for racing to either continue or end.

The racetrack’s preservation is a setback to Dean’s intentions to redevelop the fairgrounds.

Metro Councilman Jason Holleman, who proposed the amendment that transformed the legislation, said it’s important to engage all stakeholders during the master-planning process.

“We have to engage a professional planning consultant that understands how to go about a master plan for this site,” Holleman said. “And we need to be sure that we thoughtfully include all of the various interest groups that have voiced their opinions.”

The master plan is to address the construction of an already-approved fairgrounds park, the restoration of nearby Browns Creek, the future of existing facilities including the racetrack, the possible addition of mixed-used development and necessary zoning changes. There is no set timeline for the creation of the plan, which will face a council vote once finalized.

Earlier Tuesday, the five-member fair board discussed both the 2011 and 2012 state fairs, as well as the next year of expo center events at the fairgrounds property.

Racing promoter Tony Formosa presented a letter to the board expressing interest in leasing the racetrack for the 2011 and 2012 season. The fair board hasn’t indicated whether it’s interested in hosting races for another year.

All this comes down to a track neighbor (lawyer) who moved there from out of state, and decided the existing track had to go. He organized a very small group who developed a very well done master plan for making the property into greenspace and also office space. (Maybe so he can work closer to home?) This plan was presented the to the mayor and a couple council members who follow the mayor's lead on everything, and thus the controversy.

Add to that, the fair board refuses to give more than a year to year lease. Sterling Marlin has an investment group that is ready to take excess grounds property and build walking paths, park space, and also a noise wall around the entire track provided they were granted a 5 year or longer lease.

So, while the bulldozers are not in there yet, neither are the race cars.

Funny, The Mayor has a proposal and two statements from two Tennessee icons in Marlin and Waltrip on what could be a bright future for a 100 year old tradition that could bring in revenue, but he wants to build a few offices, and a lot of greenspace. The propety in question has room for parks, offices, and the track to co-exist.

Ask anyone about the greenspace thing, The first three months, it will be a hit. Then it become a money pit for upkeep, vandalism, etc.

You nailed it Tom. The Mayor has been so dead set on tearing the place down that he even blamed debris from last years major flooding still in a creek bed by the track on the track promoter saying the racers were dumping all their trash there. The creek bed was never cleaned after the flooding by the municipal workers charged with cleaning up debris and the race promoter proved that point publically embarassing the mayor big time. You are right about the lawyer buying a home up on the hill and he was joined by a few others who bought some of those homes. In most cases those new owners are not even living in those houses. What they are hoping is that the Mayor gets his way and after tearing down the fairgounds that he will also buy the property on that hill for business development and they make a nice little profit on their property. Since day one this has been a big fiasco with the Mayor stating that a flea market that was held at the Fairgrounds on a recurring basis would be relocated in a nearby mall and after he had that published in the paper the mall came forward and stated publically they did not know anything about that and were not going to allow any flea market on their property. So its been a real comedy show in Nashville and for now the racers and race fans are in the lead. But the Mayor controls the Fair board and most likely will not allow any long term leases on the track. Politics at its worst. Popular opinion is with Marlin and Waltrip but it may take most of the state to convince this Mayor who by the way is on his last term in office. Obviously he is seeking a state office but as popular as auto racing is in Tennessee he may be signing his death warrant as far as politics goes. I doubt they will have the All American 400 there this year but I do understand that Montgomery may still pick up that race to keep it alive. Hope so, I weill go to Montgomery and spend my money there.

I doubt they will have the All American 400 there this year but I do understand that Montgomery may still pick up that race to keep it alive. Hope so, I weill go to Montgomery and spend my money there.

I think you'd see a hit in attendance from the TN folks. Alabama is missing an asphalt track in the northern part of the state. A quick track. Still sad to watch BIR get torn down.

• 2 months later...

New news from Speed51:

FAIRGROUNDS: The NashvilleCityPaper.com is reporting that The Tennessee State Fair has signed a lease agreement with Fairgrounds Speedway USA, owned by former NASCAR drivers Bobby Hamilton Jr. and Chad Chaffin, to operate the Speedway for 2011 & 2012. The lease allows for at least two day races and up to five night ev...ents, which must conclude by 10:30 p.m., with the exception of the All American 400 in October

If Im not mistakin that is the 2nd track that Bobb jr. has a financial interest in. I think the other is NE of nashville but im not 100% sure. Glad to see the guys in racing with the $$$ helping stop the slide of short tracks going under. Maybe they will have some modified races we can go run. Id tow up there to race.

If Im not mistakin that is the 2nd track that Bobb jr. has a financial interest in. I think the other is NE of nashville but im not 100% sure.

Fairgrounds will be the third track Hamilton is involved with.

He oversees the Highland Rim near Ridgetop and the Riverview track in Carthage.

Hamilton and Nashville racer Chad Chaffin are partnered in the Fairgrounds deal. Their bid was $8,000 per race, and a minimum of $53,000 for the season. The only other person to place a bid was Tony Formosa, another Nashville racer who had the last lease on the track, and made a bid of $5,000 per race.

Overall, this is great news. To add to that, Sterling Marlin and Darrell Waltrip both lent their support to the track, and they are both long times friends of Chaffin and Hamilton.

Thinking I am putting the AA400 weekend on the radar......

Tom, I heard that the Rim went under last season. Its hearsay but from a very good source. I wonder about the Fairgrounds lease though because the track surface is in very bad shape and needs to be repaved. That is why Marlin and Waltrip wanted the 5 year lease since tht would be the only way to get back anything on such a big investment. Talked to drivers last year after the 400 and they said the track was really tough on tires. I just wonder if BH and CA plan to repave or leave it as is.

Tom, I heard that the Rim went under last season.

Don't know about that, but it is racing this season...

Have not heard anything about track upgrade, etc. But Nashville has always been an abrasive track, on the level of Pensacola.

If I see any new details, I'll post them here.

Tom. Only getting bits and pieces here and there but I understand the two year lease includes only 7 races this season which can only be ran on the days the flea market is open. The city charges 10 bucks to park cars for the fleamarket but no one knows for sure if this parking fee will also include entry into the race track area. Lots to be ironed out I understand. Will post more as I hear it.

Some terms of the lease.

The terms of the lease, which the fair board approved on April 5, provides for up to seven race events per year, two of which must be held on Flea Market weekends, and one of which must be held during the Tennessee State Fair.

The lease also allows for at least two day races, which must end by 7 p.m., and up to five night events, which must conclude by 10:30 p.m., with the exception of the All American 400 in October. The lease requires all motor vehicles on the racetrack to have properly operating mufflers.

Another interview with Chad Chaffin was interesting to read, as the fight over the facility is not over. He talks about the loss of the Cup races in the 80's, and the Busch and Truck races in the 90's. Those moves by na$car moved Nashville from a nationally prominent track to basically just another Saturday night track.

He went on to state that while they have some severe restrictions, they are going to do everything in their power to make the track work, and to be able to present a viable package for extending racing beyond 2012.

Two things Tom. YOu are right, the rim is running this season or at least its web site says so. If you have not already, look at that website ; The Highlands Rim, and view the video they have there. It resembles the Saturday night fights more than it does auto racing.

Back to Nashville. Tony Formosa put a lot of money and effort into running that track this last season and it was Tony who swung the vote to keep it open. But why has he stepped aside of promoting it another year? Tony, a former racer, knows how to put on a good show as I witnessed last October at the All American 400. The people on the hill by the track have not given up on their fight to close the place down and I suspect the two year lease is the first step in their plan. It is an abrasive track but also now full of holes because that flooding last year managed to put some of it under water for awhile. I am not sure many teams would show up unless the track gets some kind of resurfacing. Thats just my opinion but last year they had about 44 entrys for the 36 car All American and in years past they would get in up to 80 to 100 easy. Have not heard anything about Waltrip/'Marlin money backing BH Jr on this venture because to hear Sterling talk about it, He is in it for the long run and his plan definitely includes repaving the track and all you mentioned earlier in this post in return for a 5 year lease. There is little information being put out anywhere about what is happening there and that even includes the local newspapers. Just can't imagine investment by others into a 2 year venture that most likely will not succeed as hoped. Now wanting to sound like a pessimist but some of the restrictions on the 2 year lease are designed to make it an uphill battle. It would be similiar to Mary Ann being allowed to run the track but having to charge 10 bucks for parking in the property owners lot.

Archived