91 dodge truck

neon14

Ok guys, one of my coworkers has a 91 dodge ram with a gas motor. I think it is a 318. I need help identifying this part. Its to the left of the steering column. Looks like a flasher and it has 3 wires going to it. It gets so hot that I had to wrap a rag around it to unplug it. The things drawing alot of current even with the key off. So I took it out and he is driving the truck without it. Everything works in the truck except the fuel gauge and the oil pressure gauge. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks

post-1097-1288835127.jpg

post-1097-1288835176.jpg

I just looked over 90, 91 and 92 wiring diagrams - nothing with those three colors going to it (many schematics are only good until production starts - they change a lot sometimes). But bot haz and turn are two wire flashers. My guess would be daytime Running light relay, key/light buzzer or trailer package flasher.

• 2 weeks later...

If everything works but the fuel gauge and oil gauge, my guess would be a voltage regulator for the instrument cluster. I know Ford uses one, I assume all other do as well. The system voltage is too variable for consistent gauge readings (12V - 15V), so there is a separate regulator to drop this down to a constant. Most regulators need at least a 2V drop from the supply to regulate so expect the normal output to be somewhere around 5V - 10V.

I would not expect it to run hot unless there was a draw somewhere else in the system, do the gauges work normally if you plug it back in?

Archived