Bring back Australian Pursuit!

Jason

Would you like to see future Australian Pursuit races at your local track?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see future Australian Pursuit races at your local track?

• Hell yea!
    • No way!
    • I could careless...

Ok let me explain an Australian pursuit race. You usually put the fastest cars in the back. Basically if a car is passed they pull off the track and they are out of the race. It can make for some exciting racing! One of my earliest memories at CCMS was an Australian pursuit race. I remember as a very very young Jason seeing a Australian pursuit race with a Texas Thunder car painted like Mark Martin's Valvoline car. Anyone know the name of the driver?

It aint that it dont pay anything-------------most of time pays something--lol

More cars have been torn up running this "gimmick" race than

anything else--

BUT its sure a fan pleaser and I think that it has a spot in anybodys

race program

Last nites race at CCMS was the best race of all--plenty of nose to tail

racing and am sure enjoyed by all

Jason,

The car you are talking about was driven by David Horton. My dad was also racing in the mini-stock class at that time. Do you remember car # 13? I don't know which year you are talking about, so I don't know what color the car was. It was either red with a "fireball" coming out of the passenger side door or it was teal with a "wind-up key" on the back. But it always looked like a mini Corvette. But those were the good old days when the mini-stock class was almost as fast as the streets or modifieds or whatever they were called at the time. There was a lot more action in the mini class back then and a lot of good drivers, not just 2 or 3 taking all the wins.. And just about everybody got along in that class as well! But anyway, on the topic of Australian Pursuits, my opinion is that while it was a fun race to watch, it was also very annoying. Many of the drivers wouldn't get off the track after they had been passed and that tended to make the drivers who were doing the passing (starting from the back, of course!) mad and they would end up losing the race as well because of the drivers who either didn't understand the rules or didn't care about them. And, as I remember, that need to pass the person in front of you led to some rough driving and damaged cars. My decision- good for fans, not so good for the cars out there.. Ok that's my opinion. :D

The Australian has always been one of my favorites to run. Whether I was to get paid or not. I love to race and the Australian is a fun race. Seemed like the only ones that didn't like it were the ones that would get taken out before the first lap.

Just wondering how you think just 13 total cars for the friday nite racing was good racing. 3 cars in first heat super stock, 4 cars in modified first heat, 5 cars in second modified heat, 4 cars in super stock feature, and 9 in the modified feature, also in the australian prisuit there were 9 modified -same cars that were in the feature. jmo but to me that's not enough cars to even worry about having races on friday other then trying to steal the dirt cars away from i37. not coool at all. like i said thats jmo which i think is very disappointing.

I have fond memories of the Austrailan pursuit races. Can anyone remember in the late 70's a white '57 chevy driven by Levi Taylor. He ran side by side with either,S Heinaman or Monty Nichols II, I can't remember which for the last 5 or 6 laps. He wasn't the first to the line but won the race because he was never completely passed by the other car. Only 2 cars on the track.

Great racing

Mel

Guest The_Greek
Just wondering how you think just 13 total cars for the friday nite racing was good racing. 3 cars in first heat super stock, 4 cars in modified first heat, 5 cars in second modified heat, 4 cars in super stock feature, and 9 in the modified feature, also in the australian prisuit there were 9 modified -same cars that were in the feature. jmo but to me that's not enough cars to even worry about having races on friday other then trying to steal the dirt cars away from i37. not coool at all. like i said thats jmo which i think is very disappointing.

speedy, last nights dirt show on asphalt was the first time they had a low car count, the other 2 times they ran, they had a good field of cars in all classes, i think what happened was the dirt cars were supposed to run last friday but didnt, and there was talk they might only run them once a month. which mightve cause some confusion or have other cars committ to run somewhere else but from my understanding they're trying to add the dirt mods to the saturday night show. they're plenty of dirt mods in CC and the surrounding area they shouldnt have a hard time fielding alot of cars.

You know what is really cool that they should do once in a while again is the train race. That always did bring the spectators in. jmo

Train races were scary to me. There was always at least one car to break off and as you know, the 3rd car was the one with the brakes. Those races always made me cringe. I always thought it was a little too dangerous. I remember, several times, cars would break apart from the chain and sometimes catch on fire! And it was never the car in front, so it stayed on fire until the officails or fire crew could get a caution out and/or get the front car's attention. And the way the 3rd car would whip around sometimes.. I think you get my point on why I think train races aren't the best idea... :huh:

yep,you're pretty old.j/k...i remember them,but i was probably 5-6 yrs. old so i don't remember them that well...i think it's about time for some trophy dashes,dash for cash,or australian pursuits...but that train thing i can't picture,and it sounds a little too ballsy for me...

I loved the trophy dashes... It was only 4 cars but it was pretty interesting.. Since they pick different people every week, it gave some of the slower cars a chance to win. The train races were set up like this. 1st car motor only(no brakes), 2nd car no motor or brakes, 3rd car brakes only. So when the 3rd car broke off it was kind of hard to for the other 2 to stop. Scary..

Archived