dB readings from THR practice, 6/3/04

NickHolt

I just arrived home from Open Practice at Thunder Hill Raceway where I noise checked every car that practiced.

Three Legend cars practiced. One was in the 95-96 dB range, another was in the 96-98 dB range and the third was in the 97-99 dB range. So, two of the three Legends were above the 96 dB limit.

A THR Street Stock was in the 95-96 range.

A THR Hobby Stock was in the 93-94 range.

A THR Late Model was in the 96-98 range. This car was above the 96 dB limit. It should be noted that this same LM has been in the 96 dB range in earlier tests. The difference is that this car picked up a bunch of speed due to improvements to the suspension and was generating more RPMs than before.

A TAMS modified was in the 97-99 range. This car was above the 96 db limit.

An Allison Legacy was in the 92-94 range. It should be noted that this same car was in the 98-99 range last Saturday and was not allowed to compete. The car owner vowed to return with a quiet car and he did so. This same owner also tried another system on the same Legacy which was in the 96-97 range. I guess we know which system they'll be using the next time they race at THR.

Nick Holt

j.j.&s.racing,

That was the only mod practicing today at THR. I will PM you the car number.

However, there has been at least one other mod practicing at THR over the past few weeks and that car was over the limit too, although he said that he only had a muffler on one bank.

Any TAMS modifieds wanting to get noise checked should make it a point to be at the June 17th practice since THR is not holding practice next Thrusday, June 10th.

Nick Holt

The muffler we used Thurseday, to get down to 93-94dbs, was the Schoenfeld # IMCA609. It's about 6" long, looks like a beer can with both ends removed, then shot full of holes with a 22. They installed a cover over the can so it resembles one can full of holes inside another can. It worked on my car on this evening practice, next week might be diffeerent. I also tried the Schoenfeld 'SHORT MUFFLER' in the 8" size with a reading of 96-97dbs; if you would like to try it call me as I can not use it. Interesting note, we also installed a turn out pipe on this short muffler and it did not help, we even aimed it into the center of the car, all it did was fill up the drivers compartment with exhaust fumes, dah; hey we had to try it. I will try the Schoenfeld $14.98 insert next Thursday, couldn't get one in by yesterday so I tested what I had. Hope this helps... IMCA609 =$24.95 SHORT = 15.95. I ordered these from Smiley's, came in the next day, UPS from Dallas.

Archived