Jerry Mann Winged Sprint Car Supermodified

tommyo

Jerry Mann of Houston had a beautiful metallic-yellow Sprint car Supermodified that he drove at Meyer Speedway, and I suspect, other southern tracks as well. That is, until the evening of May 1, 1971, when he got tangled up with another car coming out of turn two - I believe it was during the feature event - and cartwheeled, fuel blazing, down the length of the backstretch, ending up against the third turn wall.

The car was a mess, but Jerry was, I believe, unhurt.

A few weeks later, Jerry showed up with a beautiful orange Sprint Car. I also have a couple of shots of Jerry's car after he clobbered the wall between turns one and two on July 17, 1971, but those are for another day!

I never got around to taking color photos of Jerrys beautiful yellow car because I thought I had all season - what a difference a few seconds makes!

1st photo, Jerry's yellow Sprintcar

2nd photo, emergency crew putting out the fire - sorry I couldn't get closer

3rd photo, the car against the third turn wall

4th photo, the resurrection of the car, this time as an equally-beautiful orange car

5th photo. Jerry ontrack in the orange sprinter - note left-front wheel off the ground

6th photo, the oranger Sprint car in color

post-12610-1285369007.jpg

post-12610-1285369065.jpg

post-12610-1285369095.jpg

post-12610-1285369123.jpg

post-12610-1285369145.jpg

post-12610-1285369186.jpg

Interesting photos but I believe the incident you are talking about here with Jerry Mann was actually the "Orange" number 12 sprinter you have pictured here.

It was Larry Schild he tangled with on the backstretch that sent the winged car tumbling down the backstretch.

I saw the whole thing that night and Larry's right front caught the left rear of Jerry's car. Larry's right front actually came off and sent Larry in the infield.. You are correct about the fuel all over the track and amazing that he was un injured.

• 1 year later...
Interesting photos but I believe the incident you are talking about here with Jerry Mann was actually the "Orange" number 12 sprinter you have pictured here.

It was Larry Schild he tangled with on the backstretch that sent the winged car tumbling down the backstretch.

I saw the whole thing that night and Larry's right front caught the left rear of Jerry's car. Larry's right front actually came off and sent Larry in the infield.. You are correct about the fuel all over the track and amazing that he was un injured.

There was a Dick Mann at Meyer in 75 or so in Late Model Cougar LMS car. Brother maybe?

Archived