Meyer Speedway Photos

tommyo

OK guys and gals - please take it easy on me, I'm new at this. I began attending races occasionally at Playland Park in the late 1950's with my father, and went to Meyer Speedway in the very early 1960's. I attended every race at Meyer from early 1963 and continued thru August 1965, when I joined to Navy to keep from being drafted - I didn't matter, I did 2 tours in 'Nam anyway. I came back to Houston in August and immediately began attending every race, all the way thru the 1970 season. I took lots of pictures during that period of time. In 1971 I became the Meyer Speedway track photographer and continued that thru the 1972 season. At that time I had completely burnt-out on the whole thing - HAVING to be at every event on Friday and Saturday evenings, several nights in the darkroom, etc. I went back to Meyer for the 1973 season, but not as the photographer. I later became a major NASCAR Winston Cup fan, particularly a Dale Ernhardt fan - when he died, in my opinion, NASCAR did too. It's never been the same without him! The good thing is I have hundreds of photos from 1969-1973, and many large, pristine photos purchased from the previous photographer, F.E. Mac McKinizie. I already have several of Mac's photos loaded into the computer, ready to be "downsized" so I can get them into this thing! (as soon as I figure out how!) I'm ready to share, so please let me know what you want - I'll see what I have and post them here for you! Again, please be gentle with me, I'm definately new at this!! Thanks, tommy

post-12610-1284600578.jpg

Tommy,

If you need assistance with loading the correct size I will help you here with the editing and proper size for this forum.

Please set you sizing to 640 JPEG and either send them to me or upload in this size.

I have the tools to edit, clean, and trim the photos.

The photos are great!

-Randy

Lone Star Speedzone

• 3 months later...

Actually that would be the Space City 300, June 1971. After losing about 30 laps during a green flag pit stop to, I believe, change the carburetor, Richard Petty put on a driving show in his plymouth. He unlapped himself a few laps against a cruising Bobby Allison in his Dodge.

Actually that would be the Space City 300, June 1971. After losing about 30 laps during a green flag pit stop to, I believe, change the carburetor, Richard Petty put on a driving show in his plymouth. He unlapped himself a few laps against a cruising Bobby Allison in his Dodge.

Larry, as a matter of fact I do have photos of that event. I've already posted some of them - somewhere - on this site, but will

scan and post more of them for you - for you and everyone else, keep the requests coming!

tommyo

Archived