Tech Question

Guest RandyBorlace

Guest RandyBorlace

Ok, last year on my chevelle i went from a powerglide to a 4 spd. manual, i have never noticed a problem before, but when i jacked up my car today to do a nut/bolt check, i noticed the yoke was sticking out about 3 inches and had gear oil all over the place.. it still works, no slipping or nothing, and from my measurements the 4 spd with bellhousing is the same length as the Powerglide, in order to fix this problem would i need to get a longer driveshaft? i replaced the mount holding down the tranny too if it helps. would i also need to replace the rear seal on the back of the transmission too? thanks...

Measurement procedure from Tex Racing:

Beware: Aluminum driveshafts might not be legal in your class!!

===

Procedure for Measuring Shaft Length

The most important dimension of your new aluminum drive shaft is the length. This length is expressed as the distance between the centers of the front and rear u-joints.

To arrive at this dimension, first raise the car off the ground, being very careful to insure that the normal vehicle weight is being supported by the rear suspension. (The suspension is not at full droop or unnecessarily compressed.)

Take the slip yoke that the driveshaft will be assembled to and insert it all the way into the tailshaft housing of the transmission. Now pull it out 3/4" to 1". This will be the free play that all driveshafts need when the suspension moves through its full range of travel.

Carefully measure the distance between the centers of the front and rear u-joints. Double check the 3/4" to 1" free play in the slip yoke and measure again as we are not responsible for wrong measurements.

This is the length for your new aluminum drive shaft. Enter this number on line "A" of the order form. Round off this dimension to the nearest 1/4" increment.

For circle track cars with a quick change rear end, only A, B, and C need to be known. Complete all lines if your car is equipped with a Ford 9" rear end.

Guest RandyBorlace

i figured it out, the spacer i put in the spring was putting the driveshaft at a weird angle which was pulling it out more then normal.. it also busted my back seal, it coulda been worse...

I never thought of it that way, BRH50. I guess I'm just not as sharp as you.

By the way, since you bring up my editing, your derogatory references to me are still posted in the Dirt section. I didn't edit them, although I certainly would have if you had been refering to someone else instead of me.

to mr GOD(AKA Nick Holt)whowon is far from unmoderated,unlike you thinking your the web GOD, and this site is HIGHLY over moderated,you and your over rated cant say "hot head" and I get deleted self,look at your total people on here...self explanitory,get a grip Nick,your not the GOD of Texas Speed Zone,people can express their opinion without being vulger,you make them seem like "hot head is a bad word,come down off your high horse and maybe more would get on here.as I bow down to solute your worthiness.N.O.T.T.T.T.T.T.

Nick Holt

My last post nick is what they call a joke,you know they have a class at Texas A&M called "get a sence of humor 101" , might try that class,and yes since that was written what over a year ago and I have been behaving on here I guess that was your only come back.Thats ok....I guess you were just waiting for the right time to say pay backs are he**.Again thats ok,I have allways been known to speak my peace good or bad,but unlike some :D I can take it and I can at least say "I have a sence of humor".Its all good, still no problem here. ;)

Archived