Doyon, Reyes Get First Wins at I-37 Raceway

PRESS RELEASE Release: August 23, 2010

Ray Doyon Gets First IMCA Sports Mod Win in Caution-filled Feature, Justin Henley Tops Largest Street Stock Field of 2010

Pleasanton – As the season championships are winding down at I-37 Raceway and the points battles are getting tighter, it was fitting that the feature action started Saturday night with a flag-to-flag win by young Hunter Montgomery. His win clinched the Brazos Mini Sprint season championship with one race still left on the calendar. The surprisingly quick mini sprint cars (powered by 600 cc motorcycle engines) ran their feature without caution flags.

After that, well, if there wasn't a full moon, there should have been. Lakehills driver Johnny Torres celebrated his birthday with a fine run to second place in the IMCA Southern Sports Mod feature as Ray Doyon was getting his first win, but the night had a déjà vu feel for Johnny. Earlier this season Torres won a caution flag-filled Sport Mod races that saw him passing the same cars several times as caution flags put the field back to the running order before the caution.

Saturday night was more of the same, with nearly everyone in the field having to give up positions they had just earned as the field was reset following one of the many caution flags. What made it even tougher was the depth of the field, with veterans and champions including Randy Yount of Comfort, Greg Rohmer of San Antonio, Corpus Christi's Bill Pittaway and Moe VanKIrk of Kerrville in the 15-car field. Young Jason Stanley got third behind Torres, with VanKirk, Pittaway, Yount and Rohmer following in that order.

Only four cars rolled out to take the flag in the Tator Plumbing Limited Late Model feature, with Craig Crowley unable to make the start. Wesley Skains jumped into the lead in the new car he debuted at the last race, leaving Richard Bartosh to contend with Gary "Taz" Hunter and Shane Moore until Moore spun himself out of the picture. They finished in that order, Skains, Bartosh, Hunter and Moore.

In contrast, the Street Stocks generally run a very competitive race, and Saturday night fully ten cars showed up to try their luck, including several that had just been finished and one, Justin Henley, with "4 Sale" in place of a regular number. Somebody should be talking to young Henley about the car, because he made a nice, clean run to first place.

The usual fast cars, Wade Jones of Jourdanton, A. J. Wernette of Hondo and Floresville and Dennis Hilla of Pleasanton along with Mike Lyon all started in the top six and by the last caution with four to go the order was Henley, Jones, Hilla, Lyon and Wernette and they finished in that order, but not without some disagreements during those last four laps. This may be the class to watch next year as more cars come out to run in what's either the cheapest fast class or the fastest cheap class at I-37; either way, the most bang for the buck.

The Pure Stocks brought their usual 16 cars to the feature race and featured another first-time winner ad George Reyes got his first victory ahead of defending champion Marc Roy and William Cavender. The race started with Roy and Janel Hilla in first and second in points, just as they finished last season (Roy won by four points), but Hilla would have the busiest night, twice coming from the back of the back and battling with Cavender in the last few laps until she spun out and finished tenth.

Jerry Jones came in fourth with Aaron Leddy (running another "4 Sale" car) fifth, Eric Watson sixth and David Savilla seventh. Not only one of the largest classes at I-37 Raceway, the Pure Stocks are probably the most competitive, though the Street Stocks might take that honor if they had four or five more (fast) cars.

There were ten Front Runners to take the green as they left Richard Whitehead in the pits, unable to start the feature after problems in the heat races. It also took the "Fronts" three tries to get started as someone jumped the start on the first try and Roy Easler, Jr. spun on the backstretch on the next try. (Easler Sr. and Jr. have been taking turns with the #12 Geo Metro.)

Through all of that Cody Earnhardt grabbed and held onto the lead while James Samford chased him down and Easler was storming through the field. Earnhardt got the win with Samford second and Easler coming through for third. Hailee Marcx finished fourth and Trevor Bettis fifth.

The points races are really getting close and the driving both closer and more demanding. Their next chance to gain points in next Saturday, August 28, as I-37 Raceway will be fire them up for the second Saturday in a row. The full program of races starts when the spectator gates open at 5:00 pm. Feature racing action starts at 7:30 pm.

-30-

• 2 weeks later...

WAY TO GO HUNTER MONTGOMERY FOR A HECK OF A YEAR. TWO WINS AT I-37 RACEWAY AND THE BRAZOS MINI SPRINTS POINTS CHAMPIONSHIP. I`M SO PROUD OF YOU SON YOU DID A GREAT JOB THIS YEAR!! AND I THINK YOU GAIN ALOT OF FANS BY THROWING ALL THOSE FREE T-SHIRTS OUT THIS YEAR!! I-37 RACEWAY HAS DONE A GREAT JOB WITH THE TRACK GOOD JOB BOY!!

Archived