power steering question

waddy

i.m running a super stock dirt car with 2 to1 quickner, stock camero box tenn inch wheels and dirt tires. i have the krc power steering pump with the flow valve that is supposed to be the most pressure, still it is very hard to steer, any help or ways to fix this is appreciated. you can,t turn the wheels unless the motor is running, thank you leland waddell

i.m running a super stock dirt car with 2 to1 quickner, stock camero box tenn inch wheels and dirt tires. i have the krc power steering pump with the flow valve that is supposed to be the most pressure, still it is very hard to steer, any help or ways to fix this is appreciated. you can,t turn the wheels unless the motor is running, thank you leland waddell

Leland,

My first guess is something is in a bind. WHen you get both tires off the ground does it still do it? Second thing is it sounds like maybe you have air in the system? Oh, possibly lines are reversed?

Mark

Leland,

My first guess is something is in a bind. WHen you get both tires off the ground does it still do it? Second thing is it sounds like maybe you have air in the system? Oh, possibly lines are reversed?

Mark

We had the same issue with a car shaft was bound up ! could not see because was under the dash. good shot on that kiss racing

when using a quickener you are reducing the leverage you are applying to the box. Just like being in overdrive transmission gear reduces the torque to the wheels.

When the engine is running you have the power assist which brings back some of the leverage via power steering - is it still stiff running? Is it stiff on jack stands without enginge or is the stiff "on the ground" only?

Is it stiff all the way thru the travel? Some stock Camaro (mostly RS\SS, SS or Z28) boxes are variable ratio - but I would not think that matters - it would be stiffer across center but off center it should decrease in stiffness as the tighter ratio lowers the effort needed.

disconnect the pitman arm and you will know if its the column, quickner and box! My gut says its the box and its a variable - even with no modifications I have seen the variables stiffen up when they get old and wore out...

Hey reading that last line explains a lot - I must be a variable ratio!

Has anyone ever run a stock power steering pump the ones with no reservoir on a Super Stock, the one I have on the car now went bad and it appears to be stock with some oem numbers on it, we took it off and used a loaner and it steered real good, the car came with a bad one cause my first time out it was real hard to steer so I dont know the difference.

Ariel,

using a stock pump should not be a problem if you dont spin the motor way up there. Stock pumps usually work all the way up to 7k rpm. Just make sure you have enough fluid in the tank.

• 4 months later...

Archived