No Spark

DirtRacer9s

Ok I am about to drive(push) this car into the lake. I keep losing spark. I replace the module and it fires up. I have replaced the cap, rotor, and coil. I have check the ground and have put the dielectric grease under the module. When I put a new(working) module on it, it will fire up and purr. I can let it idle or I can rev it up in park with out any problems. But when I drive it at higher rpms it sputters a few times and dies. And then I dont have spark again. Any ideas at all would help. Oh and I do have 12 volts running to it and it stays at 12. I ripped my alternator off of it to make sure of it.

I noted the parenthesis around "working" module. I have seen modules that work great until the distributor heats up some then they go away. is it possible you are simply exchanging one weak module for another?

Check the distributor closely for wear and shaft wobble - this could cause issues as well - as just a few thousands variation in the excitor gap can over saturate (and thus overheat) the coil. Verify that your adv plate is stationary (if you remove the vacc adv you must lock the plate) and centered! Also check the centrifigals - they could be going out too far and not returning until you disassemble the cap\rotor.

Well I havent fired it up yet because I havent got a good module yet but I was replacing stuff yesterday and I found something in the distributor. A few weeks ago I pulled the cap off to find the little carbon nub that sit under the coil was burnt off. I assumed it burned up. No it fell to the bottom. I also found little burn marks on the cap last night. My theory is that when I hit a bump(thats when it starts acting up) those two pieces bounce around and the spark goes to them. I will let yall know the outcome when I get it running. Thanks for the help.

Archived