Trying to locate 100" Super

Super91

I am trying desperately to locate a 100" supermodified that made it down to the Houston area. The car was originally built in Ft.Scott, KS by John Layne. A friend of mine, Tom Moore, bought the car in the early '80s in Carthage, MO and soon thereafter moved to the Bryan/Navasota area and took the car with him. It is my understanding that Tom later sold the car to Harry Garrington (sp?), father of Tina Criswell. By this time the car was rather antiquated and I'm certain it was never raced. The car was then sold several times and, as I understand it, ended up in the Houston area. The car is rather unique in that it is an offset 100" super. When last seen it had a 2" Frankland open tube rear (w/Nance side plates)and a right hand steer Erlbacher steering. The upper rail of the chassis is constructed of round tubing and the lower rail is rectangular. Hope is that the remains are sitting in someone's backyard or shop....hopefully not made into a dune buggy.

I thought I would take a chance and post this plea...just in case someone might have seen this car...chassis...or parts. Realize this is much like the proverbial needle in a hay-stack but thought it worth a shot!

I'm not certain what category this request should 'land' so I asked Nick Holt for some assistance. Luckily, he was willing to do so (many thanx) and I think I've managed to attach a couple of photos of the car. Obviously, if the car still exists, it's likely in no such condition but perhaps members can get a general idea of the chassis construction/configuration.

Many thanks for your web page and all that you do for the racing community.

Mike Pogue

Claremore, OK

post-3-1279331663.jpg

post-3-1279331670.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who have assisted in searching for this race car....especially Nick Holt and JohnnyMac.

I have beed chasin' my tail on this for quite some time but was informed recently that this car was at one time sold to a gentleman with the nickname of 'The Preacher'....and that his name was John McLaren. By chance does anyone know this gentleman or how to contact him?

Many thanks,

Mike Pogue

That is one neat looking car Mike. I hope you locate it. If you do and restore it please post pictures. I've always been a fan of offset cars in fact the 2nd super I built was a 100" offset super. This was before I started driving myself. Bill White was out of a ride so I ask him of he would like to drive it at Meyers which he did. I had a Chevy 396 in it and with the short profile Good Year tires it was geared way to low (too many rpms). In its first race Bill started in 10 place and within 3 laps was taking the lead when the motor let loose. He managed to spin it up high and back it up near the pit gate going in one and everyone saw the smoke and went low and missed him. All but one that is. There was some squarle 1/2 lap behind with plenty of time to shut it down and go low but didn't. The hit Bill head on but not square but on the right half of the car. It shortend the car 18" on one side and totalaled it. I was so upset with loosing a car I had worked over a year building in 3 laps that I back the trailer with the car on in in the garage and didn't even go in the garage for 6 months. But when you've got the bug you have to come back. That's when I built the car I sold to Poncho Lockland and Page Renoyolds won a lot of races in. First race out after Poncho put his 427 in it. I went with him to FA to help set it up for the Winter Super Modified Nationals and with John McLaren driven it ran 4th.

Many thanks John. I appreciate you, and others on this forum, taking time to help this Okie search for this elusive car. Especially appreciate you calling me Tuesday to provide some additional guidance and insight on 'The Preacher'...only thing that could have been better is for you to tell me the darn thing was sitting in your back yard!

• 2 years later...

Bart,

Really appreciate you 'digging down' and finding my old post. Unfortunately, the answer to my locating this old 100" car is 'NO'... I've spoke with several folks during the past couple of years that remember seeing the car and one that actually owned it for a short time. I'm convinced the car was never raced after it 'traveled' to the Navasota/Bryan area. I'm definitely still searching as this car means quite a bit to me and the gentleman that originally built it. Any and all leads are appreciated.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Archived