THR meeting w/Kyle Neigbors and City Officials

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

THR has productive meeting with neighbors, Kyle city officials

Thunder Hill Raceway co-owners Brian Callaway and Jim Lynch were among those who met with residents who live close to Thunder Hill on Wednesday night at Kyle City Hall.

Callaway and Lynch, joined by THR Marketing Director/Announcer Chuck Licata, met with a group of residents and Kyle city officials (including Becky Selbera and City Manager Tom Mattis) for about an hour last night.

After listening to the neighbors’ concerns, the THR contingent revealed a study was already underway to find the best, most cost-effective way to put a sound barrier between the track and the neighbors.

“We can’t express enough, the fact that Thunder Hill Raceway will be very strict in enforcing our 96-decible muffler rule,” Lynch said. “It’s our intent to be as ‘neighborly’ as possible and we’ve initiated programs to find short-term and long-term solutions to answer everyone’s concerns.”

“I’m very happy with the meeting,” Licata added. “I think our neighbors realize that THR is looking to work with them on their concerns. In fact, we even invited them out to the track to watch the races sometime soon. We’d love to have them out there so they can see what we do on Saturday nights. It may not turn them into race fans, but at least they'll feel welcome to our track.”

Races are held at THR every Saturday night from March through the end of September. Thunder Hill Raceway is located on the access road at exit 210 (Yarrington Road exit) off IH-35 in Kyle.

Chuck"

I was just wondering how quite the neighbors want the track is it that they can't hear the track at all? What about the lights and the traffic is that one of there worrys? What did the neighbors propose are they willing to work with the track or is it all or none for them. I think that is information that should be shared for furture reference with all in this sport this maybe is one of the biggest problems facing racing.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the race track there first? I know, I know, it’s like the guy that buys a house near the airport and then complains about the noise. It seems to me that this situation may have a unique solution though. If I’m not mistaken most of those houses have wheels on them. Why not have all the race teams volunteer the use of their haulers one weekend. Put a TAMS car on the front straight and rev it to say 6500. Everyone then pulls out onto the I35 feeder with a house in tow and heads north. When you can’t hear the mod any more set `em down. No charge. jp

Jp,

Your arguement is based on debate logic. That's not the arena this will be contested in. The playing field will be one containing politics, votes, elected officials, taxes, property valuations, etc. It's never is about "fair". It's always about money. COLLECTIVELY, they have more votes and probably pay more taxes than the track does. I've seen this deal played out several times. Race Tracks are 0 for 4 of the ones I've seen that let it come down to "us or them...this town ain't big enough for the both of us!". The track's position of pro activity seems like capitulation but in my experience, it is their best option.

Just my opinion

Jay

JP has an excellent idea, but he also pointed one of the big problems we face today. Some developer builds houses next to an airport or racetrack. Some clown buys there, knowing full well that a noise-producing venue is there, then starts complaining about the noise.

The aviation industry spends billions of dollars trying to produce quieter engines, due to mandates brought about by the EPA. These mandates are a result of local citizens crying about the noise in their backyard. This applies to both civilian and military aviation. Your airline ticket dollars are paying in the civilian sector, and your tax dollars are paying in the military.

Now your local officials know they gotta work around the airport, but a racetrack? A developer builds 500 homes a mile from a racetrack, citizens buy them, and then complain about the noise.

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure who govt. is going to back. 500 home owners with jobs, and all the tax revenue they generate, or your local struggling track, which does not bring in anything close in revenue that neighborhood will generate. jracr98 is very correct about this.

It just doesn't matter anymore who was there first, money will dictate if the track gets their way, or a couple whining citizens who were dumb enough to buy there in the first place.

Supertex mentioned the lights and traffic, that will be their next complaint.

And I know everything is about mufflers and 96db. I support that, and 96 is not hard to obtain. But it is 96 this year, next year; they will want 94, then 92, and they won't be happy until it's their dogs under the porch barking at night that is disturbing each other.

Ok.. i am going to give 2 cents on the votes.. The track has more than you think if it ever comes to that.. Lot of regulars in the stands you know.. Race teams... they add up too... its not just the Owners votes.

I have seen politics at work many times... The track Trying to resolve the issues the way they are.. is Very VERY smart... it gives them more credit than the complaint....

Chuck"

I was just wondering how quite the neighbors want the track is it that they can't hear the track at all? What about the lights and the traffic is that one of there worrys? What did the neighbors propose are they willing to work with the track or is it all or none for them. I think that is information that should be shared for furture reference with all in this sport this maybe is one of the biggest problems facing racing.

Supertx.

I apologize, I didn't see your post until right now..otherwise, I would have answered it already..

It's 12:30 p.m. on Sat., i'm getting ready to head to the track, I promise to answer your post tomorrow...thanks for your patience..

Archived