San Antonio Speedway May 8th Race Recap

GoGirl

Hooray, NO RAIN! It was Mother's Day weekend and after two rain-outs in a row, it only seemed appropriate that Mother Nature finally decided to smile, giving San Antonio Speedway a picture perfect night for racing.

Seventeen late models thundered onto the track for their main event with Robert Barker and Jason Smith sharing the front row followed by Wesley McGuffin, James Cole, Danny Garcia and Jesse Salazar. Things can happen in a hurry in this series and such was the case for this race. When the green flag dropped, McGuffin and Cole were banging on each other's doors, ripping off the right side of McGuffin's racecar. This set off a chain reaction as those behind started to check-up, leaving half of the field with nowhere to go. Hitting the pits for a quick fix were Joe Aramendia, Danny Storbeck, Jeff Wills, Wesley McGuffin, Donny Horelka, Michael Lampton and Larry Bendele. Leland Waddell's mangled machine had to be towed to the infield. On the restart, the new line-up had Robert Barker, Jason Smith, Danny Garcia, Jesse Salazar and Mike Balzer up front. There were three additional yellows before lap 2 was completed, the worst happening when Horelka and Aramendia tangled on the backstretch sending Horelka into the tire barrier, putting an end to his night. After a brief red flag on lap 3 for the spun out cars of Storbeck and Wills, it was back to some much anticipated green flag racing. Barker was still leading, but Cole was coming and he was coming on strong. On lap 11, Cole put his fast Ford into the #1 position. Two laps later there were some anxious moments when Wills spun out in turn 3, right in front of the leaders. Luckily, all made it thru unscathed. With a handful of laps remaining, Cole's luck ran out when he ran out of gas. Joe Aramendia inherited the lead and the win with Larry Bendele, Robert Barker, Jason Smith and Jesse Salazar filling out the top five spots.

In the Sportsman main event, George Reyes and Vincent Trietch were paired together on the front row followed by Tater Mason, Craig Crawley, Tom Reynolds and Eric Knudtson. George Reyes took the early lead with the other drivers jockeying around for position. On lap 11, Trietch spun out in turn 4. At this point, Reyes was still leading with Justin Oates, Knudtson, Robert Mayberry and Crawley right behind him. On the restart, Reyes experienced some steering difficulties which put him in the wall. This handed the lead to Oates. While running in second place, Knudtson's great run came to an end with mechanical problems. When the checkered flag waved, it was Justin Oates doing what he's been doing every time he hits the track and that's WIN. Robert Mayberry, Craig Crawley, Garfield Shanklin and Vincent Trietch were the next contenders to cross the finish line.

The Texas Asphalt Modified Series, making their first 2004 SAS appearance, were the final event of the evening. James Cole set fast time in qualifying with a lap clocked at 19.40 seconds. The top six qualifiers were inverted for the start of this race, putting Jeff Smith on the pole with Matt Brune, Larry Smith, Jerry Schild, Chris Swenson and Cole in tow. Jeff Smith jumped into the lead leaving Brune, Cole and Swenson battling it out for 2nd - 4th. Lap after lap, this trio treated the crowd to some fantastic racing. On lap 21, Cole took over the 2nd position only to crash out two laps later, bringing out the red flag. The top five on the restart were Jeff Smith, Brune, Swenson, Larry Smith and Schild. Both Larry Smith and Joey Heinaman had mechanical woes which put an end to their night. When the checkered flag dropped, it was Jeff Smith leading wire to wire for the win. Matt Brune, Chris Swenson, Bruce Beddoe and Jerry Schild were the next contenders to cross the stripe. Congratulations to all of our winners!

DANG, You GoGirl. Excellent write up. I almost felt as if I was there! Reb, you had better watch out. GoGirl, if you need a job I haven't seen a write up for the latest TSRS race yet.

I think Reb is now writing for Tan Monthly. Current assignment is "Aloe or Johaba Which One is better for delicate skin?" He'll be back when they realize he is not Willie Nelson. :lol:

I wanted to say good job to James Cole and all of his team for the hard work put in to make the Houston Super-Mod show friday night with the help of some friends and they're loaned equipment, and then making the SAS show for the LM and another TAMS car. Hard enough to maintain One but to get Three ready to race in a short time is awesome. A little luck would have put him in the winners circle for both races but he will be there soon enough. It amazes me how dedicated James is with all he is doing outside of racing and still has the drive to get out there every weekend and give it all he can. I really hope things turn around for him, he has got a lot of talent and hope to see him racing more places soon.

This weekend was a very trying and exhausting one to say the least for not only me but my entire crew as well. However, I really want to thank some people for giving me the opportunity to compete in three different race cars in two different cities all in one weekend. There was A LOT of behind the scenes work and A LOT of late nights to pull this off successfully. I want to thank my crew, which consists of Jim Cole, Aaron Marsh, Chris Snocker, Kevin Ezzell, Bob Zweifel, and Troy Delosh. I also want to especially thank Larry Smith for loaning me the motor for the Houston race and his entire modified for SAS along with Chris Swenson for loaning me his car for Houston. I appreciate everything you both have done in helping me get my name out there and allowing me to compete in your equipment. I also want to thank Danny Webb for all of his contributions this year and especially this past weekend along with Chris Pitner, Mark Mathias, Leonard Alvarado, Glenn Erfurth, Glen Delosh, and Tim, these guys really helped pick up the slack when we needed it to get the cars prepared and to the track. I also need to thank Bobby Black for helping us out in the Houston race with spotting. I apologize for the length of the post but like I said there was A LOT of people to make this happen.

With a little luck we could’ve come home with three trophies last weekend but it just wasn’t our weekend. That’s racing I guess! However, it’s nice to know that I even had the opportunity because of these people. Thanks again to everyone involved!

James Cole

Guest The_Greek

great job of driving, it couldve easily been two 1st place trophies for you on Sat nite, lady luck wasnt with you, but if last saturday was any indication of how well your cars are gonna run, it wont be long till you will be in victory lane.

Archived