Nostalgia Funny Car

I'm new to the site and wondering if anyone here is watching the entire country go nuts over the nostalgia funny car class. There have to be at least a hundred cars either in various states of competition or construction with new cars showing up at every event (32 very fast cars at the March Meet 2010, alone).

And while the NHRA doesn't really know what to do with these cars, the track promoters all over do as they are booking old school nitro match races enough to pay the racers' bills and then some. The IHRA at least has given them a slot in their big show (albeit a prepaid, invite-only thing that doesn't really race heads-up). Unfortunately, the loss of IHRA stewardship at the kick-ass San Antonio track left me dumbfounded and making matters worse, the AHRA substitute seemed to have bobbled their try earlier this month as well. The point being,... nobody is lined up to put these amazing crowd pleasers on any track of consequence in Texas, and that's just too bad.

As I said, I'm new to the site. I'm not really sure what kind of racers we have here, but I just got back this morning from Las Vegas where 25 cars came for an 8 car field. That's 25 cars from as far away as Canada, for the poorest run (read: promoted and administered) show I have ever seen.

So the question is:

Is there any interest in getting a program up and running here in central Texas, or either the Dallas or Houston tracks,... or better yet, eventually all three? I am putting a car together for next season, and I know or have met many of the owners and shoes of these west coast nostalgia floppers,... and I am convinced that if we offer a decent payout and some tow money, they will come. Or best case scenario, we bring in just a few and make up the rest of the field ourselves (maybe a year or two down the line). There are at least two cars in the Dallas area and maybe one in San Antonio. Add in some Billy Meyer flavor and maybe some Don Gay relatives,... a Texas NFC match race club is not all that far fetched.

This is potentially a great program I'd like to see both as a fan and driver. What say you all?

Steve Belsky

steve.belsky@gmail.com

post-12294-1275336692.jpg

Yeah, that's a great site. Good up-to-date (well, relatively up-to-date) info available here as well: http://aafcnews.com/

Hoping to generate some buzz here in Texas--distinctly lacking from those and other web-locations. I can't tell, but Lone Star Speedzone looks to be primarily a circle track forum. It's kind of em' to give the "straight-liners" a tab, but I'll expand my search some.

Of course, if you hear anything NFC related or want to know more, please let me know.

Best,

sb

post-12294-1275348496.jpg

i've had em at my track and going to have em again,maybe around end of july.

Yeah, vey cool. I thought that event was rained out. I saw John Hale in Vegas this weekend. I've got commitments through the end of July but if it's later than that, I'll come out for sure. Thanks

Archived