bent axle housing

racer61

• 1 month later...
Anyone know who can straighten a 9" housing? I dont think its bent because of a wreck, look like it was welded crooked.

I know of a guy who did that intentionally - to add camber to the right rear.

Anyone know who can straighten a 9" housing? I dont think its bent because of a wreck, look like it was welded crooked.

If thats the case then this guy was a real bozo, cus the rotated the cambered part 45 degrees. Its toed out 1/2".

If thats the case then this guy was a real bozo, cus the rotated the cambered part 45 degrees. Its toed out 1/2".

LOL cambered and steering into the slip angle? the guy I saw do this argued - I told him with a three link all he did was create a V - the three degrees right neg he was shooting for becomes 1.5 neg on each wheel AND as that goes the wrong way on the left side he gave up anything he got! But no I was just some tech inspector trying to take all of his edge away.

Moot point three weeks later when the carrier bearings fried. Wish I had pictures of the axle splines!

Edited to add: Oh yea the original issue - would probably be cheaper in the long run to hang a new one -Even if made straight linear you could be off a few thou concentrically. You won't know if its bad until you fry your carrier or worse - your car looses the rear and slides to the wall in its own grease.

Archived