JEFF GORDON

Kathy

Yep, must have been cheatin'. If my guy wins, it's because he's a hero driver with a great racing team. If someone else wins, they're cheatin'.

I'm still trying to get one of the Gordon haters to tell me what he's done that makes them hate him. Not be a fan, fine. But hate they guy? Boo him anytime you hear his name? What's up with that?

There are a number of drivers I don't like, including the Other Gordon (though I admit he can drive a racing car). But I don't hate him, and I don't boo him. So what's Jeff Gordon done to elicit such enmity?

Anybody have an answer?

Well Gordons not my fav driver but if Jr. goes out i usually pull for Gordon. What I think it is, is that he came in young and just started dominating, and winning and winning. I think eventually people got tired of it and for some reason they just hate him. Kind of stupid if you ask me and I'm almost positive thats the case, but I can almost garuntee you that a Gordon Hater won't admit that for some reason... :rolleyes:

I think I have to agree with you DVeit.

That is kinda how it was with Dale Earnhardt. I can remember him getting boos also.

I think Earnhardt once told Jeff don't worry about the boos. If they stop booing or cheering for you then it's time to worry.

the following aren't my words but something someone said on another board that I strongly agree with:

The reason I never liked Gordon..... He got all the best given to him his entire life. He never earned it like the drivers of yesterday PLAIN AND SIMPLE. He came up where step daddy gave him the best of the best and even moved to make it easier for him. He came to Busch and got some of the best equipment. He then moved to cup and Hendrick once again gave him the best of the best. I bet you could take Morgan Sheppard(may be a bit far fetched) and put him in the 24 car when they were at the top and he could have done what Jeff did. It all comes down to equipment now a days. You are going to sit there and tell me Terry Labonte can't drive 1 year after winning the title ? no . Terry has been nothing but a test pilot for Gordon and now Johnson and it goes back to when Schrader was there. Look at what Schrader has done in that low budget 49 car ALOT better than he was doing in the 25 cause he is not a test pilot.

I don't hate gordon. In fact I was just kidding about the fuel lines because he made it and many others did not. I do not pull for gordon. At one time I really disliked Gordon when he was NASCAR's golden boy but the driver whos drunk fans throw beer cans on the track replaced him. Oh well.

sfrebel-

Why single out Jeff Gordon? With the exception of Davey Allison, all of the members of the famous name club, including the current fan darling, Dale, Jr., had it "given to" them. Petty (all of them), Jarrett, Earnhardts all, Andrettis, Unsers, you name one. And, as racing has gotten more popular and a heck of a lot more expensive, you can add that anyone who has made it without a famous name had a daddy who could write the big checks. Nor is that limited to American drivers: I remember when David Coulthard made his first start in Formula I and his father was smiling in the pits. A reporter asked him why he was smiling, and dad responded, "Well, among other things, it's the first race he's run that I haven't had to pay for."

Does that mean none of those guys worked for what they got? Heck, no. Whether or not you have the cash to race, you still have to do a lot of work yourself. Some do more, some do less. Some are bigger prima donnas than others (a charge I've heard leveled at various drivers, but not at Jeff Gordon). (I can think of a few young guys around here who have a rather inflated opinion of themselves, even though they obviously haven't yet done much: they're still racing in Texas. I can imagine what anyone who tends to think a lot of themselves may be like by the time they get to Busch or Cup.)

Until racing really joins the big leagues, and quits doing the equivalent of asking the quarterback and running back to bring a "budget" to help with the team's expenses, just about the only guys and girls who will make it will be those with famous names and/or a money source. But nobody is throwing rocks at Little E, nor do they seem to be getting mad at Ryan Newman or Kasey Kahne or Jimmie Johnson. They're just mad at Gordon, mad enough to hate him, but they don't want to tell anyone why...

I think the quote posted by sfrebel does explain the sentiments of a lot of people surrounding Jeff Gordon. However, it's also easy for me to see how those sentiments make no sense at all. Very few of the guys racing at this level have NOT had everything handed to them. That's just the way NASCAR racing seems to work at the top levels. Granted, these guys race hard to get there, but without the opportunity being handed to them, they would still be racing sprints or late models.

Great Job 24 team!

cs

I hated Gordo at one time and I'm not ashamed to say why. He beat Dale Earnhardt Sr out of at least one championship. Might be a petty reason, but that's what it boils down to. It was hard to see my hero get beat by little milk drinking Jeffy Gordon. Since Dale's passing my feeling for Jeff has softened considerably. It will be hard to watch him beat Dale again in number of NASCAR victories, but it was bound to happen.

I think that alot of fans jump on band wagons. I like several drivers, but I take alot of heat for being a Gordon fan. That's OK!

Regardless if some one was handed a big sponsor or has someone to back then with a huge bank roll they still have to work hard at what they are doing. I really don't think someone who has a rich daddy is just going to back someone with out having great driving skills. I agree with the comment made that alot of people think that if their driver didn't win, than who ever finished in front of them must have cheated. That is bull crap. I think it takes the whole team to make things go nearly perfect for any class.

Great job Gordon #24!

yea i take alot of criticism over being a gordon fan but that's not gonna make me quit rooting for gordon but yea. I think gordon should get alotta credit for this race i think he can also win Night Time Richmond.

I was pulling for Morgan

I don't drink Pepsi & I don't drink Bud--Now if Crown Royal sponsored a car, well we would have to talk. Really, I am a fan of Dale Jr. but I think it is more of a carry over from Dale Sr... I do not hate Gordon, I just like Dale Jr. In the end the best driver/team wins.. Even if it is Gordon.. So congrats Gordon on the win..

Archived