power steering

two weeks before we leave for Moab the 07 Jeep Rubicon crawler starts giving us fits. last week going on the trailer to head off for the spring freshen up, the pwr steering stopped working. We disconnected the rock ram and looped it back to test the basic system. On jacks it's stiff across center, and loosens considerably the more you turn either direction, but more so to left - less so with the engine not running - as if the pwr is applying against the input instead of with it. Three of us agreed the gear is worn or trail damaged so replaced the gear. Without the rock ram it has soft power cold and as it warms up the power goes completely away (connecting the ram back gives about 40% of what it should be) - but steering is now consistently firm - not the "one finger of effort" we had before. So we changed the pump and hoses (the rock ram continued to work so I don't think the pump was bad). New pump groans, hose obviously strains and steering is incredibly stiff when engine is running - firm when not. Put a second gear in (assumed bad rebuilt) and same symptom. Putting another pump in tonite (group consensus) - but I am not holding my breath.

No suspension binds strains etc - it worked awesome all last season.

Any ideas?

Archived