ROMCO and traction control...

NickHolt

ROMCO teams and others received an email from ROMCO Director Robert Mullins and ROMCO Chief Tech Terry Barden last Friday along with a copy of the 2003 ROMCO rules. I quote (as written) the first and second paragraphs of that email:

"Attached to this e-mail are the rules for 2003. The changes over 2002 rules are to address safety and competitivenesss issues. We have not attended to the queston of traction control. This is what has been delaying the rules and we wanted to get what we have decided on out now."

"The subject of traction control is a real dilemma in racing right now and not just for the ROMCO series. Our option is to put inot effect much more detailed rules surrounding ignition system (for example, ignition location, type, series supplied wiring harness, wiring details, mandatory box inspections, driver inspections, more detailed post race inspections). Our other option is to allow it. Both sides have positives and negatives and we are still weighing the factures. We do not want to make this decision in a vacuum and welcome your opinions."

Nick Holt's editorial comments: I encourage ROMCO to ban traction control devices along with computer-controlled shock-adjusting systems, GPS systems and real-time satellite data-aquisition systems. With all the remote control technology available these days, why even have a driver in the car at all? Just pay some computer programmer write a program for the track, install it in the car and let the "driver" steer the thing from a control room somewhere.

Nick Holt

I agree that they should not allow Traction Control. Technology is moving so fast and so far that we are taking the driver factor out of racing. Not to mention the cost factor. I understand that it will entail more tech time, but with stiff (er) penalties, maybe less will try to sneak it by.

After all, if you want to take the driver out of the picture, why not just go drag racing? :lol:

I think if they had a penalty where you are "banned from racing in Texas period if you are caught using traction control" would help the situation. Talk to the tracks and the sanctions and get some type of agreement.

Jason

I think if they had a penalty where you are "banned from racing in Texas period if you are caught using traction control" would help the situation.  Talk to the tracks and the sanctions and get some type of agreement.

Jason

A major penalty would be needed to enforce a rule banning traction control devices. The handling advantages are so great that many teams would be willing to suffer the consequences of getting caught if the penalties were relatively minor. Getting banned from racing is a very major penalty, but I doubt there would be any sort of meaningful agreement among the Texas tracks and sanctioning bodies regarding a state-wide ban.

Something like fining someone all the money they had won so far in the season and taking away all their season points and perhaps banning them from running the rest of the season at that track (or series) would probably do the trick.

Nick Holt

I will agree with everyone here on this subject. We must remember, the series that we are talking about are cars that are somewhat supposed to resemble stock cars. Do what you can to the engines, suspensions and so on but let the driver drive the car. I think that each series should have a rule that states anyone that is caught with traction contol should be banned from the series, period. If someone wants to run traction control, let them race series that is not related to Stock Car Auto Racing. With the exception of family issues, traction control would be next in line to make me reconsider being involved in racing at all. The series are doing a great job now at keeping the rules to where most people can be competitive, why change a great thing.

Gasman,

I know you have much more than a passing interest in the ROMCO series. Why not give Robert Mullins a call to let him know your feelings on this very important subject? I'm sure he would listen to you on this matter.

Nick Holt

• 2 weeks later...

Archived