Bill Bailes and Terry Labonte

NickHolt

Was watching the Busch race today and saw the ad for Bill Bailes tractor -- the one where Texas Terry is sittingup on the red tractor and Bill is standing nearby. Neil Upchurch tells me Bill is the same Bill Bailes that used to run an air-cooled VW in the Mini Stock class at Pan Am..

We ran a Vega in that class with Bill back in the '70s.

Nick Holt

I remembered the car because it had a bad bumpsteer problem At that time I didnt know what was wrong but you could see it at track level, thanks for the confromation

Mel: Here is the added information you requested on Bill Bailes.

Yes, he was a TIDA Pro Sedan driver for some time and a very good one. He was one of the six charter members of the TIDA which started 29 years ago. In addition to Bill, the original members included Mike Knotts (the only driver still active), Jerry Pelton, Joe Osborne and me. I can't remember the name of the sixth. Seems like Greenfield or Greenway etc. The original meeting which founded the TIDA was held at Import Cars and Parts, which was co-owned in San Antonio by Bill Bailes and Don Dewees. Dewees is still active in racing as crew chief for Sergio Hexsel's, Texas Pro Sedan #20 VW Scirocco. Bill and Don built a VW Rabbit race car. We both drove seperate cars in several 24 hour races at the Autodromo de Monterrey in Mexico. The road race would start 75 cars at 3pm Saturday. The race would take the checkered flag at 3pm Sunday. Usually less that 20 cars would still be running at finish. Bill Bailes still holds the Pro Sedan qualifying record at Sooner International Raceway in Altus, Oklahoma. He turned a 22.415 in May 1983 on the 1/2 mile high banked oval in that Rabbit. Bill learned about tractors in Vernon, Texas where he grew up on one. I am pleased to see that Bill's Tractors is a successful business on Highway 87 east. Its nice to see him still attached to auto racing by way of his TV commercial advertising with my friends Terry Labonte and Wally Dallenbach Jr. Bill's ads appear regularly on auto racing telecasts.

Neil Upchurch

Archived