Shock absorbers

97car

What type of fluid is best to use in shock absorbers? I have a pair of rebuildables that are not gas shocks and single adjustable,pretty simple setup actually. Should I just use a jack oil, marvel mystery oil, or just use some 5606 fluid.

Get oil specifically engineered for shocks. generally 2.5w high shear as a starting point. Other fluids as you mentioned are not consistant enough, tend to foam too much and you will see shock performance change (usually unpredictably) with heat and load variations. Also use of other fluids can severely damage what is as you mentioned a rather simple concept!

I was wondering would a good motor cycle fork oil hold up, or who in San Antonio sells shock oil? I figured a hydraulic supply will have the o-rings and seal I need.

Why are you so determined to use something other than racing shock oil? What brand are the shocks?

www.lefthanderchassis.com

www.resuspension.com

One of these or both should have everything you need.

Motorcycle shock oil works much the same way - but does not stand up well to heat and will allow the fluid to foam. The shocks will fade and feel very different and the change is so subtle that you may not feel it - but the clock will. Foamy oil leads to burnishing of the sliders and cyl wall - long way of saying you will very quickly trash the shocks! RedLine makes a good oil for an economic price (about a buck a quart more than motorcycle oil) - just make sure its their racing oil! No racing shock oil is not an on shelf item at most auto parts stores and I can see why you are trying to find an alternative there. But online = no sales tax (usually) and the shipping puts it right back to what you would pay locally with tax. Stock up with a gallon and your set for most if not all of the season. Just be sure to seal it good when you are done as it will grab moisture much like brake fluid does.

The oil is one of the most important parts of the shock. Don't cut corners there. Use a high quality oil made specifically for shocks. Penske would be a decent choice.

Sorry Chase, just had to ask.

If penske is decent, what would be better? just kidding. :lol:

The oil is one of the most important parts of the shock. Don't cut corners there. Use a high quality oil made specifically for shocks. Penske would be a decent choice.

Sorry Chase, just had to ask.

If penske is decent, what would be better? just kidding. :lol:

OK, maybe "decent" was an understatement. But there probably is still better out there.... ;)

Archived