crate motor.

hubb44

There are a couple of people who are currently building and acquiring cars for ROMCO. One is planning to use a GM crate motor, 350. in a Larry Philips ofset chassis. Anyone care to give some advice, or just have some comments, or is this worthy of a comment. GM does a good job of selling 400 hp and 400 torque.

Those crate motors would probably do fine in a limited late model or street stock setting where everyone was required to run them, but I don't think they could even come close to hanging with the ROMCO motors that are out there today. I don't think they could even run with most of the TSRS motors if you were to put a 2bbl on them. Just my .02.

Chase

Houston Motor Speedway's late model class uses that combination. You must buy the crate motor and 600 cfm Barry Grant carb from the race track though. They are sealed after you purchase and the penalty for re-opening one is substantial. Total cost for motor and carb is in the $3500.00 range and they make 350 hp. The chassis rules are virtually identical to ROMCO. JP

If you actually think about it the crate motors could have an advantage at some of the smaller tracks such as Houston or espacially Corpus Christi. Mainly at those tracks you dont really need much horsepower as long as you keep up you momentum. I believe that if you had a Romco car and a new spec series car which runs sealed engines with i belive almost 400 horsepower they would run some close times, Only because the spec motor would get through the turns much better than the romco car but down the straight-aways the romco car would kill it. But it would be no competition at bigger tracks such as Thunder Hill or San Antonio. Im not positive about this but it just seems logical. But I dont think I would even think about putting a crate motor in a Romco car and trying to run a full season.

Curious?

Since ROMCO allows TC, wouldn't that pretty much eliminate any corner speed advantage that crate motor would have? TC keepin you hooked up in the corners and the big horsepower on the straights?

Even without TC, wouldn't an excellent suspension manager, ie Bendele #8, be able to manage the "big horsepower" in the corners.

Not many substitutes for more speed.

Mel

Mel,

You pretty much nailed it. Horsepower with a setup will make a better race car and driver 99% of the time. In Houston, there were a lot a guys wanting more horsepower. Cowboy Bob has his game on when it comes to hooking those cars up. I would take him over TC any day.

Meredith Race Engines,

If you would like to advertize your servcies on TexasSpeedZone I am sure Jason would welcome your advertising dollars. However, the racing forums are not places to plug your business. I am removing the message in this thread where you have done just that.

We certainly welcome your comments and we hope you will continue to post your thoughts here, but be advised that free advertising is not permitted here.

Thanks for your understanding.

Nick Holt

TSZ Moderator

Archived